Reference to how bamboo grows

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by franfleur, Sep 28, 2005.

1. franfleur

franfleur Member

I am in a oriental brush art class and we are painting bamboo. Unfortunately, my instructor feels that we need to be artistic and paint from impressions rather than how nature rules. Does anyone have a link to a reference picture of how the leaves grow from each section of the bamboo, how many leaves on each stem, the leaf pattern on the stems, etc. I like to be "naturally" accurate and not take too much artistic license!
    Thank you for your help.....I have found many links on Google, but they deal with how the bamboo is used for wood, or bamboo structures and art, but I can't find one that gives me a simple drawing of what the cane and leaf formation looks like without going out and stealing a cane of someone's plant!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, for photos of bamboos, you can check out this page (from a commercial site). Not quite what you asked for, but perhaps it will suffice if nothing else can be found.