What is the name of this tree ,,Please??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Wayne Snyder, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Wayne Snyder

Wayne Snyder Member

I have a tree that bares a fruit that taste like a sweet green apple, the fruit is shaped like a date but a little more cylindrical. Thje tree is very thorny and with very sharp thorns that cut the skin easily. The only names i've ever heard it called is a fig apple or jeruselem apple. Those names cannot be found on the internet or encylcopedia. When the fruit gets ripe it turns sort of brown with maybe a little red tint. This fruit does not cluster like a date or even resemble a date palm cluster. The tree does not have to be big to bare fruit. The only tree i've ever seen is about 10 ft. high. I have a sprout that came from under the tree that i just planted in the ground. I've had it in a pot for 17 years. It even produced fruit in the pot it was growing in.Any informatiom on this plant would be greatly appreciated.Thankyou from Alabama U.S.A.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Could it be Crataegus, aka Hawthorn or Thornapple?
    If you can, please send us a photo of the tree and/or its fruit and flowers.

3. Wayne Snyder

Wayne Snyder Member

I dont believe it is one of the trees you mentioned. The pictures on the internet dont resemble my tree. As soon as it bares fruit this year i'll post pictures. And by the way it has small leaves shaped like the very end of your little finger, and does not have big flowers.I've been looking at pictures on the internet for a week and cant find anything that resembles this tree .I thank you for your reply and any info. will be greatly appreciated. Alabama U.S.A.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. Wayne Snyder

Wayne Snyder Member

This seems to be the closest resemblence of the tree that i have. You have given me the proper name of the tree, do you know what the common name might be. I've always heard that it was called the fig apple or the jeruselem apple. Should i call it the Jujube, or is there another common name? I thank you for your time and patience in this matter..... Alabama U.S.A.

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Jujube or Chinese Date

7. Wayne Snyder

Wayne Snyder Member

Thankyou so much for your help. I am satisfied with the info i have received. I hope you have a good day and you are able to help other people as you have helped me. I will continue to use this site because i believe it to be a valuable tool and source for unusual info on varied plants. Thankyou from Alabama U.S.A.