Choosing scions for graft

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by ron1, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ron1

ron1 Member

I am attempting my first graft as soon as rootstocks arrive. I have read several articles, but am left with few questions. My understanding is a scion should be of last year's growth. Also the scion should be close to size of rootstock. It appears to me on the tree I am cutting scions, they are all relatively small, being at the end of branch. Most appear smaller than a pencil. If the rootstock is larger, should I use an older part of branch to get a larger scion?

2. plantman56

plantman56 Member

The rootsocks that you purchase - for best results should be growing in small pots, somewhat rootbound. Usually I purchase bareroot in spring and keep in pots till next season.
    There is a best time to graft. I too am from Central PA. Conifers and Maples can be grafted from Dec through beginning of March. Each type of plant has a different window, but the idea is to have the scion wood dormant, and the root stock just starting to push root growth. Rootstock in Dec is brought into a warm area like a GH at temps around 50-60 degrees. Once the roots start to grow it is time.
    Scion wood can be cut when temps are above 30 degrees for about a day or so. At this time the two can properly "attach" or the graft can heal.

If you try now when the temps are in the 50-60, you may run into some problems -
    Someone else can better explain why.

Mike