Homemade rooting gel?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by NDman, Mar 10, 2009.

1. NDman

NDman Member

I read that there's a variety of methods out there to extract growth hormone - from boiling weeping willow chunks to dissolving aspirin in water.

Then I saw some products, esp Gel-2-Root, that are said to induce rooting in gel form. I am wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own rooting gel of sort. If so, what active ingredients are involved? Say, growth hormone, agar/gelatin?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Most retail products are based on IBA or NAA, the antique methods consider ASA as a rooting compound. I have talked to some old timers about it and they say that farmers used to take willow shoots and steep them in water in a big pickle jar or some such vessel, they would dip cutting in to that or irrigate them for the first watering with it. Find yourself an old gardening book and you may find some recipes. The ones I have dont list any in particular.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Some where I heard honey (pure) can also be used. Not sure if this is all types of cuttings.

Liz

4. NDman

NDman Member

I found out what IBA is. But what about NAA and ASA? What is the full name of it?

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years