Canna Lilies

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by McNeil, Apr 8, 2006.

1. McNeil

McNeil Member

I am not sure how to plant these beauties or when to plant out in zone 7b.

Also can I keep them planted in pots and if so how large should the pot be.

I have been offered some bulbs from a friend but as I am moving from one house to another the 3rd week in May I just don't know if I should plant them up in pots . I am moving to zone 8. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

You can grow them in pots, I had a few inside over the winter, and they gave me loads of flowers. The rest of mine live outside all year, I'm in a zone 8, I mulch them, for the winter. They seem pretty hardy, if your in doubt, wait till last frost before you put in ground.

3. McNeil

McNeil Member

Hi Carol, Thank you for the info, do you think I could start them now and keep them in the garage, or should I wait untill I move and plant them say May 25th or would be to late. I am moving from Campbell River to Sechelt and they and the rest of my plants will be moved in a U-Haul behind the car. I know Canna's grown quick. Anymore advice would be great. Mc.Neil

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

You could probably get away with either, but if your going to store them in a dark garage, don't give them much water or they'll rot.