Arborvitae - indoors or out for the winter?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by brad thayer, Nov 25, 2005.

1. brad thayer

brad thayer Member

Hello,
    I purchased 30 Emerald Green Arborvitae in 1 gallon plastic containers with the intent of planting them by now. Illness has set me back and I'm not sure I can, and due to the soil preparation and location it would be very expensive hiring a landscaper .

1. How late in the year can they be planted without doing harm? Temp range has been 20-50 the last few days in this cold front, NorthEast, USA.

2. Can I bring them indoors for the winter to a 60 degree house, and how should they be cared for?

3. Can they be left outside in the pots and somehow covered over the winter till spring planting?

What are my actual options?
    Thank you,
    Brad

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Indoors is out. Plunge pots into sand or bark to protect roots from frost until they can be planted in permanent positions. Choose site where existing soil is suitable, mulch well after planting. Do not amend soil unless large area (bed) is modified. Unless existing soil is terrible soil preparation (other than loosening) probably not necessary.

3. brad thayer

brad thayer Member

Thanks Ron B,

I want to be absolutely sure I do this right so please excuse me if this gets redundant.

The pots are 7 inches deep and the soil in the pots is approx.1 inch below the lip.
    I have a vegetable garden with a layer of chopped leaves on top to place the Arborvitae in for the winter.

These are the steps I'm thinking of taking:

1. rake the leaves back
    2. dig down six inches making a large rectangle.
    3. put a few inch layer of bark down?
    4. set the pots in a few inches apart and fill in around them just over the lip?
    5. recover with a few leaves?

Is this OK or am I doing one or more steps wrong????

What size or consistency of bark should be used ?

Could you be more specific?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated,
    Brad

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Brad--if I can butt in, too.

Your plan sounds good. The one step you want to omit is the bark under the pots. The bark is for insulation, so that goes around and a bit over the tops of the pots and potting mix once the pots are all squeezed into your excavated area.

By setting your pots onto undisturbed soil, you'll conduct the earth's heat up into the pots a bit, then the bark all round will help to reduce the loss of that heat.

Oh, if you've gone ahead already, I wouldn't worry too much. Arborvitae is pretty tough and won't be worth redoing one way or another. I've seen pics of Pennsylvania nurseries that often store plants like yours right on the surface, just burying the root balls or containers well in bark or sawdust. Your excavating will make it quite a bit better, I think...they should be fine barring some record cold snap.

Glen

5. brad thayer

brad thayer Member

Thanks Glen,

Your comments have alleviated any fears I have over this issue. I planted them in the pots but did not put the bark under the pots, just placed them in the dirt and covered.

When is the best time or month to plant next year?

Brad

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Brad--I would try to get them planted once the soil is reliably thawed. Every area would be different, March is a good planting month here. Might be a bit later where you are.

On the other hand, containers can be planted all thru the summer without any harm, so there is no huge panic either. Once it warms up enough to get roots growing, and no hard frosts to heave the root balls up out of the planting bed, you can plant at your convenience.

Glen

7. brad thayer

brad thayer Member

Thanks again Glen,

And thanks UBC Botanical Garden for having this forum.

Brad