Oregon: Rose Pruning question: how many buds should be left on the cane?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by MuddyP, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MuddyP

MuddyP Member

And I thought it can snow in the Willamette Valley through February. I lived here during my childhood and remember building snow forts in late January and February. The daphne is blooming and the hyacinth and daffodil leaves are at least 1 to 3 inches above ground. Warm and sunny, which wasn't expected until March. I am in Portland, OR where there were two, maybe three cold blasts each which lasted only a few days. At night temperatures dip to just above freezing, but by 2 pm yesterday and today the temperature was above 50 F. I thought I'd go out to take off those old moldy hips off the rose bushes and some of the leaves that have frightfully dense blackspot. To my surprise, buds are popping out up and down the 3 to 5 foot canes and many are getting leafy. I want some nice strong canes and know that by the book it isn't time to go into the heavy cuts, so I snipped away at some weak lateral branches and made some cuts. How many buds should be left on the cane? Is this a global phenomenon? Should the old book be thrown out?