Leather Jackets or Grubs?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Jeffries Brook, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hi All,

We moved into this development in March last year. At first we thought we just had a drainage problem in our yard but starting last August we noticed that our lawn has become progressively worse...dead! I tried to call MANY different landscaping companies and nobody would help us. My question is are these pests the same and does anyone have experience using predatory nematodes to get rid of these things? Where do I get this?

Jen

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Since you've had no other responses I'll take a chance that my limited knowledge can help - perhaps these are the chamfer beetles that are being announced as a new pest in the lower mainland? Mind you, you don't say where you are. I'm also not quite clear on what you mean by whether these pests are "the same"... the same as what? Anyway, try googling phrases like chamfer beetle or brown lawn. Maybe something will come up.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

european chafer is the fun guy that is radiating out from New West through Burnaby and into Vancouver. the grub is quite different from leather jacket grubs. a quick google search will net you some images of both.