a container privacy screen

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by anolesrus, Jul 4, 2006.

1. anolesrus

anolesrus Member

I am looking for a plant/tree/shrub to use as a privacy screen. I have a 4 foot by 21 foot space next to a wooden fence. It would be really grand if the plant was between 6 feet and 15 feet tall. I purchased 12 gallon pots (21" diameter), because the space I want to plant them in is covered in gravel, (it's a lot easier to plant in a pot than shovel up gravel). The space gets direct sun from about noon until 5pm, complete shade in the morning. I live in Oregon (USA) so I also get a lot of rain. I am a complete novice with plants and I do not have a green thumb. Does anyone have any plant suggestions? Thanks!

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

So you want it to provide privacy ABOVE the fence? In that case it'll be in full sun all the time once it grows to the desired height.

I'm thinking you need a tree of some sort. I'd say, given your level of knowledge, that you're best off visiting a local nursery (a good one with knowledgeable staff, not a big box) to see what plants you like. In advance, you should make some decisions such as whether you want evergreen or something that loses its leaves in winter, and whether you want something spreading or columnar... the general shape that would give you privacy from the direction you need it.

Another alternative would be to build a trellis or pergola of some sort, and plant vines in your large pots. That might give you better results faster.

3. Buzzbee

Buzzbee Active Member

Any thought given to a wisteria- if you could find
    a millettia reticulata or evergreen wisteria, one in particular has deep burgundy fragrant flowers. It requires sun to partial shade.
    Likes to grow up a trellis or fence. Can be quite agressive. You might need a large pot.
    I have read it may not be evergreen in all areas.
    Decidious Zone 7 to 8. (U.S. zones)
    So not the best if you are looking for a total screen year round.