Getting Vancouveria hexandra to flower

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by slovett, Jul 25, 2009.

1. slovett

slovett Member

I have been buried in studies, and much has passed me by, but not the survival of my Vancouveria Hexandra. When living overseas for a time told the people staying in our home that they could do all else to the garden, but this one had best be alive and in fine form on our return. I have never seen her flower.....she is protectively hidden between a lovely sword fern and rapidly encroaching Polygonatum odoratum Variegatum.....I don't want to lose her, but when would be the best time to mover her, and where to have the possibility of flowering?
    We are in Richmond BC now, some beds great soil, some hard and clay, some old cedar beds very acidic........Big lot, so lots of sun/shade choices.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

Your post was buried in another thread, so I've moved it into its own, despite its age.

Full shade might be the problem? The Vancouveria hexandra at the garden -- and the ones I've seen photographs of in the wild, are all partial shade or better.

3. slovett

slovett Member

Thanks very much Daniel, it is definitely in full shade now, so I will move it in the early spring and see how it fares. Please advise if you have any further suggestions as to best soil type or other.....as I mentioned, we have a variety of conditions on our property.

Cheers,
    Sharmeen