baby Japanese Maples trees - novice questions

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dalex, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Dalex

Dalex Member

About a month ago I discovered several baby Japanese Maple trees growing around my properrty (about 7 of them). Since then, I have pooted them, added plant nutrients, and they have grown about 2-3 inches and are doing well. My question is whether I should bring then indoors during the winter (I live in Massachusetts) and, if not, whether I should keep them where they are in the pots during the winter. Lastly, what other information can you please provide to educate me on how to best keep these baby Japanese Maples healthy during the winter.

Warm regards. Dalex

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi Dalex japanese maples are hardy ,where is your USDA zone? japanese maple live in zone 6 without problems in , in zone 5 covered your maple ex. in garage
    for more info read the FAQ "how to plant a maple" in the genus "acer"
    ciao

3. Dalex

Dalex Member

Thank you for the reply. I live in Zone 6.

Could provide more information on how I can find "how to Plant a maple" in the genus "Acer"?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You are near the edge of hardiness for these, plant in ground or plunge pots into sand, bark or other loose material to protect roots from winter cold. Do not attempt to overwinter without leafless dormant period.

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

you entry in genus maple from home page UBC,after clik on FAQ....ciao

6. Dalex

Dalex Member

Ron - Thank you very much for your reply.

May I ask that you eloborate more on your response, for I am an amateur this subject. Specifically:

- What do you mean I am at the "...edge of hardiness for these"

- I do not have sand and all I have for mulch are mulch beds. Could you please eloborate more on how to plant them inground? Could I simply dig a hole in the earth and place the pots in the holes? They are between 2-4 inches high and are in a plastic pot which is about 8 inches in circumference.

- Finally, I need some clarification on what you mean by "do not attempt to overwinter without leafless dormant period"

Thank you.
    Dalex

7. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    In case you don't hear back, I am pretty sure he means that zone 6 is "pushing it", cold-wise. Also I think he also means don't bring them into a shelter, such as in a pot, and then plant in the ground with cold weather on the way, or purchase a tree which has been protected in a garden center and still has leaves on it, and then put out in the colder weather if there are still leaves on the tree... let it lose its leaves naturally as the other trees do while in-ground, and acclimatize in the ground to the colder temperatures gradually. In the "Acer" [Latin botanical terminology for maples] section of this Forum there are other postings on Japanese maples, too. I am formerly from Nova Scotia and did not see too many Japanese maples there but here in southern Vancouver Island it is a major specimen plant. Try planting yours behind a wind-break of some kind, either set behind other trees which would take the brunt of winter winds, or a rock wall, or in the shelter of a building... not in the open where it will take the cold wind in full force.

8. Dalex

Dalex Member

janetdoyle, your response is very much apreciated. However I have already potted them. I am seeking advice on the best way to keep them safe during the winter. They have been potted for about 1 month and a half now. My internet readings have led me to believe that digging a hole in the ground and placing the pot in a hole is a good solution.

your truly from Massachusetts,

Dalex

9. janetdoyle

Sorry, I didn't notice you had taken them up and potted them. Are you sure they are Japanese maples? Interesting. One wonders how they got there... I used to have North American native maples sprouting in my Halifax Nova Scotia yard, from seeds from trees... almost like weeds. We could have had a half-acre of young maples if we hadn't mown the grass! There are many more plant-knowledgeable people than I am on this forum, so I won't really offer any serious advice. If you want to put them in the ground next spring, you will have to figure out how to keep them over-winter without their suffering from dryness, lack of light perhaps/perhaps not, not getting enough cold to harden them off properly, etc., etc. Perhaps a local plant centre or nursery of quality could help, they keep potted trees often during the winter, but they would have to know how to do it properly. Corn Hill Nursery in New Brunswick, Canada, is excellent on cold weather plant care and grows/sells many types of young trees -- I am sure they could offer suggestions. They manage to store their inventory over the winter successfully, when it's not in the ground, I believe, so look them up on the Web and contact them by phone or email.

10. janetdoyle

and an addendum: this web address has some info, quite technical:

http://thescottsexchange.com/_documents/misc/overwinterizing.pdf

In the above pdf piece putting "pots in pots" is mentioned, which sounds interesting -- the extra insulation may help the root zone, thus the idea of putting the pots in the ground... like "heeling in" [covering casually bare root dormant plants for storage in winter in available loose soil, I suppose...] In the cold winter climate of Nova Scotia we had a microclimate beside a garage, near a compost pile, under some protective shrubbery and trees, so that it was protected from wind, and near a frost hollow but above it, so the cold air actually settled in the hollow not the zone mentioned... all great fun. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  11. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Dalex:
    I think you will probably be OK if you bury your potted maples in the ground. Add a couple of inches of bark mulch on top as well. If indeed these are acer palmatums, which have seeded themselves, you should find the parent tree close by. Unless some enterprising birds have been doing the transport of the seeds from a greater distance for you. Can you take a picture and post it here?
    I have included a shot of a seedling acer palmatum which I grew here so you can compare the leaves.

Attached Files:

• JG60.jpg
      JG60.jpg
      File size:
      190.3 KB
      Views: