grape vines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by dennybird, Jun 4, 2006.

1. dennybird

dennybird Member

i have a grape vine growing really nice except no grapes, lots and lots of leaves and vines but no flowers came out? why? help

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Variations are to be expected: heavy or light years are normal, but zero has to be a concern. I suggest a soil analysis including micro-nutrients as a first step.

Lots of leaves and vines would indicate a happy plant; is it possibly too happy? On many plants stress will cause profuse flowering and seeding.

Those are my wild guesses for today. Anybody else?

Ralph

3. dennybird

dennybird Member

Thank you for your answers, I wasnt sure on the part about my plant being to happy tho? I know I feed it and give it lots of water. Is it possible it is too young?

4. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

5. jmccarver

jmccarver Member

I have the same problem. My vine is two years old and I pruned last fall. It's beautiful now but no grapes. My father bought and planted one at the same time in Oklahoma. He doesn't care for his and it has grapes on it. We bought them in the same place at the same time, I planted mine at my home in AR. I have relentlessly care for mine.

6. LazyLeo

LazyLeo Member

Mine took 3 years to mature enough to start producing grapes - be patient if you have a young plant - trim it back often though, or it will take over that area. The lower part of the vine will take on a "wood" like appearance. I visited Napa Valley last year, and was surprised at how "condensed" the vines were. Maybe cutting back encourages grape production.

7. Orchid Citrus

Orchid Citrus Member

Hi. I live near Cognac and am surrounded by vines plus have 2 in the garden.

This year had a wet, long winter and promises to be a good vintage. My vines have minimal attention but are very heavy with fruit. They are cut back hard in January / February. I never feed and the soil is poor and stony. I would suggest watering well in the first quarter of the year to encourage fruiting ( assuming that the vine is a reasonable size ). To produce cognac or an "appellation" wine, watering is forbidden in France, so the vines can go months with little or no water. Hope this helps.

8. John & Anne Bell

John & Anne Bell Member

Hi Orchid Citrus, Cognac Poitou-Charantes.
    Perhaps you can throw some light on the thread I posted yesterday.
    see John & Anne Bell - Advice required