bleeding hearts/corpse flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Tulipmoon, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Tulipmoon

Tulipmoon New Member

bleeding hearts can kill insects?

Hi
    I am an illustrator working on a book about flowers. One of the spreads I need to work on has bleeding hearts flower and corpse flower on the same habitat. Would it be possible?. Also I have to show that the bleeding hearts are poisonous. I was thinking of doing a linter bug killed by the plant but I am not sure if a bleeding heart would kill this type of insect.
    Does someone know what animal I can use to show that this plant is poisonous on that Borneo habitat.

Many thanks

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Common names can be different in different locations. Would you be able to give us the botanical names of the plants in question, or post a photo or illustration?

3. Tulipmoon

Tulipmoon New Member

Thank you for your quick reply. The plants I am looking at are bleeding heart (Lamprocapnos spectabilis), bur it can be any possible variety of it. For the corpse flower (Rafflesia arnoldii). Also I was thinking of drawing a mouse or a lanter fly (Fulgora laternaria) killed by the bleeding heart poison. Would be that possible?

Many thanks

Kind regards

4. Axel

Axel Active Member

It might be a wrong assumption from my side but I don't think Borneo's climate is particularly suitable for Lamprocapnos (which is native to Northern China, Korea and Siberia).

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No, the two of those wouldn't be seen together.

6. Ron B

Re: bleeding hearts can kill insects?

Are you sure the flowers of the bleeding heart kill insects? If it is insect pollinated that seems self defeating - unless there is some way this toxicity doesn't interfere with pollination. And it somehow hasn't resulted in selection of individuals that tend to avoid the bleeding heart flowers.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It would be good to know what plants you are actually talking about. Both of those common names are ambiguous. I assume you are talking about Clerodendrum and Rafflesia?

I don't really know anything about the topic, but a search does turn up research on pesticides made from Clerodendron spp.

8. Eric La Fountaine

9. Ron B

Yes, if the context is tropical one might assume Clerodendrum was being asked about. On the other thread old-fashioned bleeding heart (formerly Dicentra spectabilis) was identified as being the plant in question, but perhaps this was a mistake.

10. Eric La Fountaine

I merged the 2 threads here--I hope it is not more confusing. I think the first question is to verify the proper ID.

11. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

First of all, I agree with Axel that Borneo is not a natural environment (habitat) for Lamprocapnos spectabilis (bleeding hearts). Even more, I doubt the plant could be grown there naturally at all, being hardy in zones 3 through 9. Borneo climate is above that.

Second, I don't believe the plant kills any kind of animals. Animals simply do not eat plants that are toxic to them. Some, like aphids, quite enjoy sucking bleeding hearts juice.
    As for people, well, the alkaloids produced by the plant may be irritating to the skin of some people, but I have never heard personally of anybody complaining about that, despite of bleeding hearts being a common, old garden favorite.

Most, if not all, plants contain toxic substances. In small amounts, those substances have medicinal properties, though. There are many chemical substances, toxic or even deadly in big enough amounts, that have been derived from plants for use as drugs and medications.

Also, some food plants, eaten by us every day, have toxic parts. For example, potatoes and tomatoes manufacture highly poisonous (when eaten) alkaloid solanine in all green plant tissues. Leaves, stems, sprouts, green fruits and flowers are poisonous even in small amounts. We don't produce pictures of tomatoes or potatoes together with the corpses of little animals (or worse), though.

12. Tulipmoon

Tulipmoon New Member

Thank you so much to all of you for help in this matter. It´s been very helpful. I found out that apparently Lamprocapnos spectabilis could be fatal for pets.

Symptoms

"The hanging teardrop hearts on the Bleeding Heart plants are aesthetically pleasing but prove to be an unhealthy snack for dogs and humans.
    If you suspect your pooch has gotten into something he wasn't supposed to, keep an eye on him. The specific amount needed to show symptoms varies per dog, but if you have a small dog breed, pay special attention as it doesn't take much to get these guys sick. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says to watch for tremors, loss of coordination and drooling. Dermatitis can show up as well. If you notice respiratory distress or seizures, don't hesitate; call your vet immediately. Unfortunately, ingesting this plant could potentially be fatal."

Thanks