Laurel root removal - chemical help

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ponderoni, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ponderoni

ponderoni Active Member

I've heard that drilling holes into laurel stumps and filling them with high-nitrogen fertilizer will kill the roots and help them rot.
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8581912_do-kill-roots-hedge.html is an example.
    I've also read that stump remover (potassium nitrate) can be used for the same purpose.

- (Other than procuring KNO3 in Canada), do they do the same job equally well?
    - Is the potassium more of an ecological issue?
    - Is there anything else that is effective, safe, and quick?

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

This is something I'm looking at myself, as I have several large stumps that I'd like to see....gone.

I don't know anything that is safe, effective, and quick other than heavy equipment or blood, sweat, and tears. I did once witness a burly landscaper remove a big one with an axe in a couple of hours.

I know some safe and effective things that aren't quick or quick and effective that aren't safe (or even legal and definitely not good for the environment). You could burn it, but you may not be allowed to do that if you live in the suburbs.

Chemically, you can use saltpeter or potassium nitrate, or a high nitrogen fertilizer, or potassium permanganate, or something with glyphosate like Round-Up which may or may not be available or legal in your area. You can also drill or chisel out a big hole and some smaller drain holes (at least 1" diameter) and plant something in there which will hasten the rot slightly. But none of those things are fast.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. ponderoni

ponderoni Active Member

Thanks, Sea Witch.

"I know some ...things that are ... quick and effective that aren't safe (or even legal and definitely not good for the environment)."
    Hmmm. I'm listening...

I just bought a big bag of Urea 46-0-0. Might as well give it a try.

I read in the Gardenweb Organic Gardening forum about using diluted (human) urine as a fertilizer. Would undiluted work as a plant killer?

Just p### on it ;)

4. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

hahaa well, ponderoni, here's an article from Popular Science that says that full-strength urine is actually a good high nitrogen fertilizer. So in theory you could use that, but I'm not sure of your town by-laws or neighbors. And it's not going to be fast. Just "faster" than doing nothing.