Unknown vine flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Joseph Lin, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

My friend has this unknown vine flower this spring in Vancouver. THanks.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Akebia quinata is quite similar....

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, almost certainly that.

4. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, I asked my friend sent more photos of unknown plants for ID.

A climbing vine with a jointed, woody stem that varies in thickness from 1-7 centimeters, the plant is distinguished by small tubular holes in the marrow, large enough for air to be blown through, hence the Chinese name mu tung, "perforated wood."

The wood is yellow and arranged in vascular plates. The medicinal part is sold in sliced transverse sections of the ligneous (woody) stem, about 1 centimeter in diameter, and contains 30% potassium salts, which accounts for its diuretic action. The fruit is edible and has a white pulp with black kernels and a pleasant sweet taste.

The plant is native to eastern China and Japan. Common therapeutic effects: diuretic; antiphlogistic; analgesic; galactagogue; facilitates labor in childbirth.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

According to the links mentioned above this plant can be invasive. Is that true in this area? I like the color and presentation of the flowers. It sort of reminds me of the Leycesteria formosa in a way. barb

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It grows large but I have never seen it seeding out. And the last one I planted myself ended up being pinched off at the ground line by honey fungus before growing very large at all. I see this pathogen often here and suspect it has a significant influence on the composition of the local flora.