Beeches: tree got buds in May but never opened

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by Deepittsburgh, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Deepittsburgh

Deepittsburgh Member

My beautiful tree with a greyish bark and unusual vibrant pink and green leaves was the favorite of all visitors, Noone knew the name of tree until I took a branch to the nursery and the owner said it was a beech tree . The branches had buds this year which never opened - I opened one bud up and inside, indeed, was a combination of colors - a potential Leaf.
    When I scratch the branches - they are green under the scale. The tree is in partial shade - but it is an old tree - as it is over 15 feet tall with many branches. It did not frost in May ( to my knowledge) - I guess I can check with the weather bureau - and it rained sufficiently here in Pittsburgh.
    The tri-color beech shares the back yard with an old Japanese Maple which is doing just fine.
    I did plant more perennials around the beech and a bush at its base did grow in breadth . Did the beech need more space ??
    The nursery owner said : your tree is dead if it has no leaves ." Why did it bud then stop ?? I am deeply saddened - is there anything I can do ??

2. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

A 15 foot tall Beech is a baby, even 15 feet circumference. Planting around the tree, is usually not recommended, since when healthy, the tree provides almost total shade. You may have introduced, a bacterial or virus infection, by the plantings near the shallow root zone of the Beech, or by other means. Frost damage, should not be discounted, but the tree will, sometimes pull out of it, patience is a virtue.

3. Deepittsburgh

Deepittsburgh Member

Thank you. I wil be patient .
    When I revisited the tree -I realised my error -- - it reaches above the 2nd floor - about 35 - 40 feet tall. The large bush under it has always been there ( I own the garden only 5 years) but I have planted new groundcover and bulbs etc -- I will remove all new plants and wait and see.
    Thank you .