Forums Restructuring

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

It's not life and death that the points have gone down. It just means the weed posts are gone including mine. Working in the catalogue environment we are for ever cleaning out or overiding records. I occasional get miffed when what I thought was a good one gets more upgrading and I am no longer the author of said record. Which by the way these days appear out on the world wide web as part of the world catalogue of books
    http://www.worldcat.org/
    and used by all sorts of organizations including UBC libs.

Here you go an on order record for UBC first 100 years

http://www.worldcat.org/title/ubc-the-first-100-years/oclc/319485975&referer=brief_results

Liz

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Why place so much importance on the post count? According to [thread=10143]Benefits of Registering and Posting[/thread] a member receives full privileges once the post count reaches 100. Beyond that it records the quantity of posts and nothing more. It certainly doesn't say anything about the quality of the posts. They are not points as in a video game in which the person with the highest total wins. The count is there for basic assignment of member privileges. As with chimera, I do not keep track of the number of posts I've made; my count total has certainly been reduced by the latest changes but it matters little for the reasons stated. It's much ado about nothing.

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I wasn't going to enter the fray here again, but just on the Advertising topic, I think it would be great to have some from suppliers of soil amendments, soils, plant nurseries, planter pots, gardening tools, soil-testing labs in the Pacific Northwest, specialty nurseries, irrigation suppliers, fertilizers, book publishers, etc... A certain style quality could be indicated, i.e. no blinking and jumping images [dreadfully annoying]. The only thing is it will add to someone's work to get them solicited-for and on... but do have your Director think about it, perhaps he'll notice this post... After all, universities name buildings after companies and donors!

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you Junglekeeper, Liz, Chimera, BEDixon and Daniel for making those sensible responses on the topic of post counts.
    cheers,
    frog

5. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Is it like army ranking? Then to be downgraded from Colonel to Captain must not feel good...

I am just a soldier happy to have survived the last battle. And, as a humble soldier, I cannot request, but would expect apology be sent to the General in case of an outrageous insinuation which proved to be ungrounded (not to mention just the thought of it).

6. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I would sure like an apology too, from way back, but also know that one will not be forthcoming.

If the post counts are not important or significant in any way, why have them at all? What is the point of having a fluctuating count everytime you log on? What is the exact reason for a post count?

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

HLB don't speak for other members. I care less if my post counts drops. Actually, I personally deleted as many of my posts that I possibly could, when I found out that this forum was closing down. I doubt that any member of this forum (except you) gives a hoot what your post count is. It is time to get a life and move on. - Millet (1.053-)

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Nothing less than personal insults are always anticipated & expected from you, Millet. True to form.

: )

I would still like to know however, what the purpose for our post count is...

9. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

What exacatly is the reason for deleting your posts? Aren't these threads being archived, meaning that all conversations will be able to be read, but not added to? If a single person deletes their posts, won't there be holes in the thread/conversation, making it hard to understand, thus useless for archiving?

10. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

11. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually, UBC should stop all this foolishness, and procrastination, and just simply close this forum down. It is not all that big of a issue. Actually, this forum is nothing more that just another Internet forum, one of thousands. It is not a big deal. If the University no longer wishes to keep it going, then fine, shut it down, get rid of it, and avoid all this weeping and gnashing of teeth. I am an administrator of a Internet forum, and I would NEVER think of closing down a forum in such a long drawn out foot dragging manner. - Millet (1,053-)

12. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

If Daniel is so strapped for time, why is he spending it in culling posts?
    If other staff are doing this, why are they? If money is so tight, why is it not being spent on more worthwhile activities?

13. The Hollyberry Lady

For once, I must agree with Millet. Get it done already!

It seems to me that this is a social thread in itself. Shouldn't it be closed down and archived by now?

Although If I was UBC management, I would be embarrassed to have a thread like this on record!

: o

14. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

The forum is being restructered, not closed down.

15. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Exactly. Why do people still say it is closing? Read the thread title.

Millet - if this forum is not that big of a deal, then why take the time to delete posts?

I really hope this forum doesn't close completely.

16. chimera

Not sure, ulterior motives, haven't read previous posts, or just "don't get it" ? Personally, I'm just here to learn more about plants and have benefitted greatly, as have some of my plants, from the expertise of many knowledgable members worldwide. Likely impossible to find a forum of the same calibre and plant scope that I can enjoy here as a layman. Not here to tell UBC how to manage their forum, meagre finances or beat them up, but feel privileged and thankful to be able to participate and gain an interest in plants previously unknown to me. Share your concerns for the well being and future growth of the forums Kevin.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  17. The Hollyberry Lady

Removed offensive plant pics so as to not hijack what this thread is really about

18. redster

redster Active Member

well less than a year for me, but i guess it was great while it lasted.

i guess thanks daniel for dealing with this as long as you did.

millet, i think your deleting your posts sucks, and shows just how much you care about them and us in the first place. you werent here to help others with gardening, just here to boost your own igo perhaps. thats why you always posted like straight out the textbooks, thanks for clearing that up for the rest of us. since people wont be able to read them anymore, no since leaving them right???

hollyberry, if it comes to be that you arent welcome here, the last thing i would do is stay. i know thats not in your nature, but no sense delaying the inevitable...just let me know where you end up, i will follow...

red

19. The Hollyberry Lady

I will pm you with the details, Redster.

: )

20. chimera

Well, 10 billion was just spent here on the Winter Olympics, 800 teachers are being laid off, some schools are being shut down, and surgeries delayed. Unfortunately, the botanical garden seems to have a low priority as to funding.

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Removed offensive plant pics

22. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

huzzah! and my zingiber officinale is sprouting! and my lemongrass nubbin that i've got in a glass of water now sports roots and little green shoots! :D

23. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Hollyberry Lady, much as I like your photo's I think they stand a reasonable chance of being deleted for being off-topic as they do not relate to the forum restructuring.

At the risk of repeating what has already been stated in this thread, my understanding of the current situation is that concerns over finance and other issues are leading to a scaling down of the forums:

1 - Forums relating to the PNW, science and biodiversity, maples, (as well as forum announcements) are being retained because they have a direct relationship to the UBC Botanical Gardens..

2 - All other forums, including citrus for example, are being "mothballed". Currently most are open to replies to existing threads but they will likely be archived soon.

3 - Archived forums do not seem to count towards people's post counts, this is most likely a function of the software rather than a deliberate act on the part of the moderators. (And who cares about post counts?)

There is a small possibility that the archived forums may be re-opened at a later date, depending on finances etc. Hopefully people will help to keep the moderators' work as simple as possible by keeping on-topic and not arguing etc.

Many people have offered to help moderate the forum but for privacy and security reasons most of such moderation can only be done by UBC staff, which is understandable as the name of the university is connected to everything posted here.

24. chimera

LOL, the Pied Piper crossed my mind, no reflection on the members though, thanks and best wishes.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Pardon me Leaf, but I was wrong to have posted my plant shots and have now been issued an infraction point for hijacking the thread. I saw people giving plant advice earlier, but I bet none of them were penalized...yet I am centered out, once again.

I was only trying to bring the thread back to something other than the parade of back and forth personal insults that seems to be ok here. I was not wilfully and maliciously trying to ruin this thread, for the record. I think I know who is though.

It seems to me that this whole thread is off-topic, so I thought it was allowed. You find offense with my plant photos, but personal and rude comments by troublemakers are allowed though...

: o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.