the death of a hibiscus?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by pinzel51, Oct 13, 2005.

1. pinzel51

pinzel51 Member

hello everyone....

i have some problems with my hibiscus these days .... the tips of my hibiscus is fading .... it is not flowering anymore .... and some tips of my hibiscus are dry .... what should i so .... should i cut the tips of my hibiscus would that help the growth ? ....

what are the symptomes for this ? .... too much or not enough water .... pests? ....

do you guys have tricks to make the hibiscus bloom during winter .... it will be my first with this little one and i would love to see it bloom during winter ....

here"s a picture to help you ....

thank you very much for your help .... as usual i truly appreciate

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tropical hibiscus don't like being moved, so often when you bring them in for the winter they lose many or all of their leaves. They don't go dormant in winter, but you should cut back on water and fertilizer. In general they like to be warm and moist, but not wet or soggy. Your plant's leaves look very green. If you are feeding with high nitrogen that will promote leaf growth, but may inhibit flowering. Not sure what is happening with the tips on your plant. Did it get dry or over-watered? Look close for bugs, insects will take off when you bring plants indoors where there are no predators.

If you want it to bloom in your house winter, give it the brightest warm spot in the house.

3. pinzel51

pinzel51 Member

Thank you very much for the tips ....

this plant has been inside all summer long..... although in june it started to lose some leafs because i over watered it .... but now i have no idea why it is .... if i beleive my little water meter... the quantity of water it is just perfect.... maybe it is the change in the temperature outside ( although the temperature in my room is controled so it didn't get cold... and it is far from heat) ..... i guess the best thing is to leave it like that and see if the branch will dry ... althouth there is several stems so maybe there's hope in the future.....

i sprayed the hibiscus last friday with safers houseplant insecticide .... maybe this could also be a factor ....

as for fertilizer .... it does do some good...but since the summer the hibiscus has difficulty to absorb the fertilizer (it usually used the regular plant food 20-20-20 but i recently switched to plant food 15-30-15 in order to see flowers) ... maybe i should leave the hibiscus a month or two without fertilizing

for the sun ... the hibiscus has a good quantity of sun .... minimum 5 hours a day ... without counting the numerous hours or artificial light ....

thank you once again ....

Rick

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The top of the pot looks like the potting medium is dust dry, except for that ripple of dampness. However, the top of the plant has a partial dieback as though it is infested with a pathogenic organism, rather than simply being too dry. Tropical hibiscus can be quite a pain to manage away from a warm, humid greenhouse or climate.

5. My trop hibiscuses bloom all year long, they are blooming right now.

What's the humidity like it that room? Try to raisse it if you can.
    How often do you water it?
    How much LIGHT does it get? Give it as much sun as you possibly can.
    I fertilize mine once a month from now until spring.

Tom

6. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

pinzel51: There is a possibility that your hibiscus became quite stressed with the overwatering. When stressed, plants, like humans , become susceptible to maladies normally thrown off in the normal course of living. In that your plant is inside, and an overly wet pot could host certain pathogens, your guy may well have contracted Xanthomonas leaf spot. When in doubt, a mild copper sulphate spray can be used, often with good results.