Identification: Help - I have no idea what it is!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SHARON, Mar 5, 2005.

1. SHARON

SHARON Member

I am a new member and am excited about finding this site. I purchased a plant last week at our local Wal-Mart (they only had one) and I have no idea what it is. It has a single stalk with multiple leaves coming off of it. They are very corrugated like corrugated cardboard. The leaves are relatively large and at first I thought it might be some kind of palm except the leaves are coming off of this single stem. Any help in identifying this plant would be much appreciated. I have numerous other not so common plants but have never seen one like this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Additional details about its structure and appearance would be helpful. For starters, you've not even indicated how big anything is.

3. SHARON

SHARON Member

I'll try to do better

Sorry - I'm new at this so please forgive the scant description. The whole plant is about 12 inches tall. The leaves are about 10'' long and quite large for the plant. They each come out of the stalk and are corrugated at the base and all the way to the end of the leaf. They look as if they have been folded accordian style all the way from the base to the tip. The leaves are about 4"" wide. If I can get a picture I will try to post that. Sorry, once again for not furnishing enough info.
    Sharon

4. Ron B

This might be enough for it to click with someone, although it ain't me! If you can get a photo up you should get much better responses.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey SHARON, it must be an unusual plant if Ron B doesn't have any idea. Corrugated leaves? Hopefully you can take a photo or scan of it to post on the forums.

6. SHARON

SHARON Member

Still Don't Know

I've spent the morning looking through my old copy of Exotic Plants - a smaller version of Exotica - and still have not foung the corrugated plant that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I have it at my office and was looking at it tonight. The leaves come out of the stem with the corrugated look to them. They are extremely large and when a new one comes out it is long and then splits half way down so that it almost looks like a very pointed heart. I will try and get a picture soon. Thanks for the input.
    Sharon

7. Ron B

A fan palm?

8. SHARON

SHARON Member

Still Don't Know

Ron - thanks for suggestion - but that still isn't it. (Fan Palm) The leaves are much longer and are heart shaped but yet they are still corrugated. They are not stiff like a the fan palm. I am still researching my Exotic Plant book and have Exotica on the way- I found one on eBay.
    Sharon

9. Ron B

Alocasia?