No idea what this is, please help!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Thrasher72, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Thrasher72

Thrasher72 Member

Hey guys, I think this is a sort of fungus, if not it's dirt being brought in by ants through my window or the piece of wood on my roof falling down due to termites or something rather odd...

This only happens in my room, no idea why... please help me get rid of this it makes me uncomfortable :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

It does look a bit like Carpenter ant frass.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ooh, wow, Thrasher---yeah, this would make me highly uncomfortable too!

I'd say you oughta call in a professional exterminator to evaluate the situation.

Have you taken a look outside at the window frame---any insect activity happening? How long does it take for this mound of stuff to accumulate? And where is it coming from?

Might be some kinda fungus (I have learned from this Forum that they have just an endless variety of colors, shapes, etc.)---but if it is insects it'd probably be good if they were evicted before they set up condo city in there. Good luck! and let us know what happens.

By the way: welcome to the Forum!

4. Thrasher72

Thrasher72 Member

Thank you saltcedar, I just confirmed, they are carpenter ants, and it is frass... any tips on what I should do? I have the orthomax home protection should I spray my window and the wood on my ceiling? Do you think that would take care of it or is there a nest INSIDE the wood?

Help please,
    Thanks!

5. togata57

Where is the sawdust/frass coming from? Can you see any entrance/exit holes?
    Given my experience...these critters might well have set up their home inside the wall. You might need to consult a professional to diagnose and treat. Gotta find their nest: you can spray the outside of the wall but if there is a colony inside it, you're gonna have to get to it to get rid of it.

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

The ants are nesting inside the wood above the window.
    This means you have two issues. The ants themselves and
    moisture in the wood. Carpenter Ants avoid dry wood.
    You'll need to remove the Window Trim and see if the flashing
    has failed or if the water is entering from above (in the roof
    for example). Once the wood has been exposed and allow to
    dry the ants may leave on their own, but a residual insecticide
    sprayed in the cavity would be good insurance to avoid re-infestation.

7. togata57

Our encounter with these creatures began when my daughter heard chewing sounds inside her north-facing wall (her bed is against this wall). Upon investigation outside, it was discovered that the window frame was basically rotten. This developed into a full-fledged residing of the house. When the crews removed the window, they exposed a huge colony. Ugh.

I ask about entrance and exit holes because of the gigantic wood-chewing bees we have here in Ohio. They eat big holes in our garage eaves and set up shop. Ours are turquoise and black: the color combined with their size makes them hard to believe in, even when you'e watching them buzz back and forth. Can hear them chewing yards away.

8. Thrasher72

Thrasher72 Member

I'm not in the position to pay someone over $50 for anything at the moment, so hopefully this insecticide spray will do the job, if not I'm going to get a machete and start tearing sh*t up if you know what I mean...

9. togata57

Yeah I do. Both the $ part and the tearing-up part.