Xanadu Cut-leaf Philodendron

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marylou830, Aug 8, 2007.

1. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

I just bought this beautiful plant about 3 weeks ago. It was in fair condition with a few visible problems: a few leaves and stems were yellowing. I repotted it in well-draining soil, and watered it, but I have had several leaves to rot away. Do I need to let this plant dry out completely before I start watering it again? I just don't know what to do to keep it from dying on me. I do have it indoors next to a bright, sunlit window. Any advise?

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

In the home, plant diseases are very rarely a problem. Too much or too little water plus insects and mites are the main problems. Root rot usually results from a soil mix that does not drain quickly or overly frequent watering.

Yellowing of lower leaves and the death of the growing tips can be caused by too little light or over watering.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I can only assume you are talking about Philodendron xanadu. Plant tissue culture companies are now giving it different names due to a recent legal mess. Two of the botanical experts who described this plant to science are personal friends. I wrote a complete article on this "mess" on my own website. But in short, a company in Australia "announced" they had "found" the seed of a Philodendron species in Australia. There was no explanation as to how that seed got to Australia. They then "announced" they had apparently created a hybrid using that Philodendron and patented it. For years, the only way you could buy one in the US was to buy it from one of their licensed tissue culture companies here in the U.S. According to the botanists, this is a species, not a hybrid and it originated in Brazil.

Recent information I've found on the net now indicates their patent is no longer valid. So, my guess is other companies are now growing it as tissue culture and selling it with new names.

Philodendron species are only found in Mexico, Central America, South America and the West Indies. Not in Australia! Even the Australian government makes no claim to Philodendron growing in the rain forests there. Many companies have been challenging this patent for some time. Besides, it is now a recognized species and species cannot be patented.

You'll find much of the story on UBC here if you are interested:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27338&highlight=xanadu

At the end of my opening explanation you'll find a link to my website so you can check the photo to be sure this is your plant. Assuming it is your plant, your plant is a member of Philodendron section Meconostigma which simply means it is a self header. It does not climb. It is drought tolerant which means you can allow it to dry, just not dry out! These plants are almost totally from Brazil and live in or around a rain forest. As a result, you need to give it soil that drains well. I'd suggest using a "moisture control" potting mix and add some extra peat moss and a few cups of Perlite. Don't use off the shelf potting soil. Keep the soil damp, not soggy. And don't try to grow the plant in low light. These prefer bright indirect light.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  5. photopro

One additional note. The problems you describe were likely caused by the retailer or the wholesaler. It is what they "did", not what you are "doing". As was noted earlier, too much water or not enough water and other conditions can affect the plant. You appear to be doing it right. Your maladies sound like stress. And many plants experience stress when brought home from the retailer.

This plant has become very popular because it is highly tolerant of abuse. It is tough to kill. Some growers have reported being able to train the species to grow in full sunlight! So, at this point don't let the loss of a few leaves worry you. If you continue as you have described, keep the soil evenly damp, and near a window, the Philodendron should recover nicely. But be prepared! These can easily grow three feet tall and four feet wide. Don't over fertilize it. Just give it a dilute fertilizer every few weeks. Approximately 20% of the manufacturer's recommendations will work fine.

6. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

Thanks so much for the information. It is a philodendron. I cut off the dead stems/leaves and I'm keeping a close eye on it and it looks much better.

7. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

Photopro,
    I know this is an older thread but did you happen to see the P. xanadu that Julius brought to the IAS sale in Miami? I've never seen a P. xanadu with such large, deeply cut leaf blades!!

8. photopro

Yep, I saw it! It is in my atrium right now! He brought it to give to me. This photo is just half of it!! Each blade is around one foot long (30cm). A truly enormous plant. Glad to have you onboard!

Attached Files:

9. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

LOL Steve I thought that might be the case but wasnt sure if it was for you or Leland. NICE looking plant!!!

10. photopro

Julius had asked before the show if I'd like it as a result of the website page on Philodendron xanadu he helped write and edit. The one he brought was way too big to get home so we had him give 50% away to someone else. Not sure who got it. Still cost $30 to mail this one back by parcel post!

And for those of you wondering who Julius is, we're talking about Julius Boos. "Jubo" as we call him is from Trinidad, is an expert on aroids, and is one of the botanical authors of Philodendron xanadu. If you look up Philodendron xanadu on a scientific site you'll see the authors are Croat, Mayo and Boos. The Croat is Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden and the second is Dr. Simon Mayo of the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007