Branch damage to a monkey puzzle tree

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by krc, Aug 8, 2006.

1. krc

krc Member

My husband accidently backed into our monkey puzzle tree with his truck while turning around near it and broke off a section of one branch--not completely sheared off--we tried to tape it up in hopes that, miraculously, it may mend itself--what are the chances of that and if hopeless, what should I do to try to save the branch and the trees' beautifully symetric shape? It is approx. 8 ft. tall and has been planted for 3 years.

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Depending upon how well you set the branch and how quickly you did it, it just might recover. Sort of like setting a bone and using a splint to keep it from moving. It might take just like a graft.

If it does not, your tree will have a little "character", I guess. Perhaps with some luck it may shoot out some branches and fill in the "hole".

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is unlikely that the break can be mended - there'll be too much weight acting on the branch for the splinting to hold.

However, Monkey-puzzles usually shed their low branches naturally anyway as they grow taller, so in a few years you'll not be able to see the damage any more.