spider mites

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by eileen, Dec 3, 2008.

1. eileen

eileen Member

I have noticed today when misting my majesty palm has spider mites on the top of the soil. What should I do?

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

These things aren't on the plant? Are you sure it's not something else like maybe Springtails? Fungus gnat larvae? Either one, soapy water, or an insecticidal soap can help control them.You can also try flooding the pot so the water and critters go over the sides if they are just in the soil. Re-potting with good sterilized soil is another option.

3. eileen

eileen Member

Well I thought they were spider mites, but what are springtails. I do know that when I sprayed the palm and the water hit the top of the soil that's when I saw all these things start moving around.

4. Bluewing

Sprintails are small whitish in color wingless pest that can jump, or spring upwards, scurry around real fast in and out of the soil when a plant is watered. They live in moist soil (and other moist places) eating decaying material such as leaf mold etc.
    Don't worry, they won't hurt your plants, but no one wants them in their house. They sure aren't pretty to look at!
    You'll sometimes see them if plants are "double" potted racing around (between the two pots) where it's moist.
    Letting the soil dry out, that is, if your plant allows it, will kill a lot of them off as well.

5. eileen

eileen Member

Thank you. I believe that's what it is. They could be annoying but as long as they won't hurt the plant I'll have to figure something out.

6. Bluewing

Fortunately, springtails are the more easier to deal with and get rid of, compared to some of the other indoor pest that can do quite a bit of damage.

Good luck getting rid of the little critters!