Is my Gunera Dead?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by vsby, Apr 18, 2009.

1. vsby

vsby Member

Hi

I have a beautiful gunera 3 years old, this year it would be quite large. The root is mushy (April 18 09) Is it dead or should I wait longer into April when it is warmer.

I covered it with its own leaves and some other mulch for winter protection but I don't know if it made it!

Any support will help.
    Tx
    Vsby

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

May be a bit early to say yet. Leave it for at least another month.

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I agree with Michael F, wait awhile. My gunnera just started shooting leaves this week and we are a few degrees warmer than you. They are so pricey, that you had best cross your fingers and wait.

4. theredben

theredben Active Member

This winter was very cold. Lots of people have lost their gunnera in the lower mainland this year. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

5. vsby

vsby Member

Hi

Thank you so much for your replies. It has been two weeks since I posted, and to let you know, there is no change in the gunnera. So, sad. I will wait another couple of weeks and hope for the best.

I have so many conflicting opinions from nursery staff. Some say, oh it is so hardy, nothing can kill it. Others say, be sure to wrap it in burlap and a loads of straw.

It is still a bit mushy on the stump.

Vsby

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hi, I thought that one of my Gunneras was a gonner, but it has sprung up 15 cm. away from the main culm... Yours may be lost to the compost bin if it isn't showing any signs of life, as most of the Gunneras have sprouted here in Port Moody (at sea level). However, it may still have yet to sprout.... fingers crossed....

7. vsby

vsby Member

Hi
    I am in Crescent Beach, so see level too. I will wait, cross my fingers tx

8. vsby

vsby Member

Hello Gunera supporters! My Gunera has sprung 3 baby leaves for mothers day, what more could a mother ask!!!
    Thanks for your support!

Happy Gardening!
    Susie