calamondin organge tree problems

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tkelly, Nov 9, 2009.

1. tkelly

tkelly Member

my calamondin tree (about 18" tall and the same diameter) which is about 6 years old, is suffering, the leafs are sticky (on top), and dripping a sticky substance (big mess below the tree) some of the leaves are drying up and dropping off, i have it in a tray with about 1/2 inch of water to draw from, so that shouldn't be the issue??

2. bastrees

bastrees Member

You are right, the tray is not the issue. It is in fact a whole other issue. Remove the tray, or at least empty it and place the pot on some feet (blocks of some sort) between the tray and the pot. The tree should be allowed to drain completely.

Look at the leaves (top and bottom) along the veins. Do you see brown, rust, or gray bumps of varying sizes. Look also along the branches, do the same bumps exist? If they do, they are likely scale, and are excreting this sticky substance that you see. Try scratching it off with your thumbnail. I had a tree given to me last year that had so much scale, the previous owner thought it was bark on the trunk and branches. The tree were so covered, the scale had scale.

If this is the issue with the sticky residue, then you will need to treat your tree with something called horticultural oil. It can be found in most garden centers. Follow the directions, and you may need to repeat. I actually spent a good bit of time removing the infestation on the tree I mentioned with soapy water first, then the next day began the oil treatment. My concern was centered around the fact that it was so thick and in layers, I needed to get the majority off first so that my treatment could reach the many layers and all the nooks of the tree. The tree has not had a scale problem since.

Barbara