How can I import a (Meyer Lemon) citrus tree -- Point Roberts to Canada?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by epicureangirl, Aug 16, 2006.

1. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

Please help me! I would like to buy a Meyer Lemon tree from the US, have it delivered to Point Roberts and bring it across the border. I have phoned customs, and a fairly abrupt officer told me it would need a Phyto Sanitary Certificate and it was up to me how I got that.

So.... anyone out there know how I can do the paperwork to get a Meyer Lemon tree across the border?

I'm assuming the do-it-yourself approach will save me some money (that I can spend on more plants!). If I'm wasting my time and we have good sources here, please let me know that too.

Many thanks!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I believe you need to ask the vendor to get a certificate at the time of purchase. The cost for the certificate may not be worth it if you're buying just one tree. Are you looking for one with a specific rootstock that require you to shop in the States? [thread=17458]This[/thread] recent thread may be of interest.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

There is a service that runs materials/goods from Bellingham to Point Roberts, thus avoiding customs hassles. I know that customers of the nursery I work at often ask us for boxes so they can take their plants to the harbor for the freight run. I don't remember the name of the company, but they depart daily from the harbor. Otherwise, you can pay ($32) to the Ag Inspector to visit the nursery you are purchasing from, to inspect the tree. It is fairly routine, we do it often for our Canadian customers, but you usually will need to buy the tree first, pay the nursery the phyto fee, and return a couple of days later after the inspection to pick up your tree and paperwork. Unfortunately, because you are taking the tree from the US to Canada (one phyto inspection) and then back to the US, you may need a Canadian ag inspector's phyto to bring the tree from Canada to Pt. Roberts. I would talk to your Pt. Roberts neighbors to find out what works for them.

4. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

I had seen that post, which is why I wondered how Gregr completed the paperwork, or if it was all provided by the nursery. After phoning around the lower mainland it seems that everyone is out of Meyer Lemon trees.

I saw an old post on this site about a grower on the Island (Fruit Trees and More) who I have contacted. I may be able to get some from them in October (by getting on the list now). Luckily they also have Fig trees, so I can probably do some one-stop shopping. I'll just have to be very, very patient. Not something I have a lot of when it comes to getting plants!

Still, if anyone has US sources and has been able to import with success, please let me know.

Many thanks, everyone.

5. Junglekeeper

Did you check with Tom's Tangerine in Delta? His greenhouse should be full of citrus.

6. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

I couldn't find a telus listing for Tom's but found his number in an old post. The woman who answered the phone didn't really understand when I was asking if it was Tiny Tom's Tangerines... she said there was a Tom there but he wasn't in. I thought I had the wrong number!

7. Junglekeeper

No. You have the right number; just ask for Tom. That number is shared by his other business. You'll be amazed by the number of varieties available.

8. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

Thanks so much! Maybe I won't have to wait until October, then.

Cheers.

9. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

There are lots of Meyer lemons available locally. They are very popular here. I bought a 3 gallon bush last week for $35 - 15 lemons on it albeit it looks like it had some leaf drop
    a while back otherwise healthy. Do you want to plant it outside? or keep it in a pot for indoor growing? I can get you all the info you need to on how to bring in a plant from
    the states through Pt Roberts. let me know if you are still interested.
    Try some of the Aisian nurseries in Richmond first - that would be my first step. Have you tried Southlands Nursery in Vancouver? If you can wait till January, Home Depot sells 15 to 24" Meyers for $19.95 (for chinese new year)
    Greg

10. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

Thanks for your reply, Greg. I am still interested in finding out what needs to be done in regards to importing to Point Roberts, because I'm sure it would come in handy if I wish to buy other plants/trees too. I have a PO Box in Point Roberts as well as have used the Letter Carrier for UPS/FedEx items too, so make the trip frequently -- it's not inconvenient for me but I don't want anything confiscated at the border due to my ignorance. :)

I have an indoor spot that gets a lot of light (I think it will be happy there), and a 3 gal plant for $35 sounds like a great deal. And good for me as I should have lemons much sooner. Please let me know via this thread, or you can PM me for my email address. Many thanks.

I did try Southlands already and they didn't have anything. I haven't tried the Asian nurseries in Richmond though. I'm in Steveston, so I should have probably checked there first! January is too long a wait, I'd rather pay more now than wait for Home Depot to carry... I'm hoping to have something in the next few weeks if possible.

11. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

How to import plants when bringing the plant over the border yourself.

1 - determine where your plants are coming from and check for import requirements
    from the Canadian food inspection agency. Use this link: http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/AIRS/airs_hs_search.asp
    for citrus Type in "citrus" commodity box and follow the flow chart
    2 - Contact the supplier to see if they can and or are willing to get their local Agricultural Inspector to issue a Phyto Sanitary Certificate from the USDA (usually $23 to $30 usd)
    3 - Depending plant origin, soil samples may have to be taken to check for prohibited pests that are not allowed into Canada. (check to see how much this will cost you...)
    Usually $30 to $60 USD depending...
    Also, IF the soil has to be treated (for example, the Japanese Beetle) The grower or supplier may charge you for this service & insecticide et al (Check about this first!!!)
    4 - Once you have done all this and the Phytosanitary certificate is issued get the supplier to FAX you a copy of both the Certificate and the bill of sale.
    5 - Complete a CFIA " request for release" form #CFIA 5272 and fax along with the invoice and the completed Certificate to 604 666 1577
    (within 72 hours of importation) Then they will fax you back a pre authorized release form that allows you import the plants. This is done within 4 hours of you faxing the info to them. This will speed things up at the border (this costs $13.91 CDN)
    6 - at the border give the Inspector all your documentation. Expect to go inside and pay the GST.

That is my experience. Contact the Canadian Food inspection agency in Burnaby if you have any Questions.

Greg
    PS Is this worth it? If you can get local product - I would go that way first.

12. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Member

Thanks so much Greg, for your thorough instructions. That will help a lot. I think I will go this route when I have a bigger order than just one tree. I'm sure your note will help others too when they want to import from the US -- it can be quite intimidating if you haven't done it before. It was hard to know where to start. Many thanks again.

13. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Unbelievable restrictions for a NON citrus country. - Millet

14. Junglekeeper

Thanks for the info, Greg. Looking over the requirements it simply wouldn't be economical if only a small number of plants are involved. Then there's the hassle factor. It's too bad.

15. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Monrovia Growers is among the first to be acceptd into a new U.S. Nursery Certification Program (USNCP), a pilot program that allows nursery stock to be shipped outside the United States without an export inspection. The certification is for Monrovia's Dayton, Ore. nursery, which is where much of the plant material that is shipped to Monrovia's Canadian customers is grown. The nursery will be audited on a regular basis to ensure that nursery stock remains pest free during production. Phytosanitary certifications will be issued by the State of Oregon based on Monrovia's continued comliance with USNCP. This should make it a lot easier for both the exporter and the importer. - Millet

16. lakshmi

lakshmi Member

If you still haven't bought one, you can get one shipped from Flora Exotica in Montreal:
    http://www.floraexotica.ca/Fruit-Citrus.htm

I picked up a Key Lime and Meyer lemon from there recently. Both plants were very healthy - the Key Lime was loaded with Limes and the Meyer Lemon with flowers.

17. Junglekeeper

Hi, lakshmi. I'd like to know a little more about the trees you bought. Are they grafted? If so, do you know what the rootstock is? Also, were there any labels that identify the source/grower of the trees?

18. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

from what I've read, their shipping policies are NOT the greatest. they do not cover if damaged in shipping and a few ppl never evenb recieved orders... also not covered by them

check garden watchdog. they are best when ordering IN person

19. lakshmi

lakshmi Member

lemon_dreams:

I actually found Flora Exotica through Garden Watchdog. They have a good rating - 96/100 with 40 reviews.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3617/

I have no idea, though, how good their shipping service is. You could read the reviews before ordering.

Junglekeeper:

They are regular/ non-grafted trees. I don't know what nursery they are from but they both had a tag which said this:
    Gen. Nurs. Stock Inspection Cert. #xxxxxx

In addition the Meyer lemon had a tag:
    Treated with Midacloprid

Both tags have a symbol of shield with a deer with antlers in the middle but I have no clue what nursery/agency this stands for.

Hope this helps. Today the first bloom opened up on my Meyer Lemon...it smells amazing :-)

Lakshmi

20. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

I checked garden watchdog this spring and most reviews were good, till you read about shipping, there were also a few negative comments on forums as well, in reguards to shipping. I'm terrified of shipping, but I've had trees shipped twice with great results... but I still prefer to pick out and up my trees

21. Junglekeeper

Thanks, Lakshmi. Your information was helpful.