Carex coming apart

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by benzmum, Jul 25, 2014.

1. benzmum

benzmum Active Member 10 Years

I've had bronze-coloured Carex growing in a container for the past few years, and it's done really well even through the winter (in Vancouver). In the past month, though, it's starting to come apart in small clumps as though it has no roots. If I look closely into the centre, the whole plant seems to be just coming out of the ground in these small clumps.

I've been watering feverishly through the hot spell, and the container's sat for a day or two in a tray of water. I'm wondering if it's a form of rot because I've kept it too wet? Do these symptoms fit with that, or does anyone have a better idea?

I could post a photo of the little clumps if that would help.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, post photos -- and photos of the roots of a pulled plant.

3. benzmum

This is the root picture:

And this is the main plant, in its current state:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  4. benzmum

Anyone have any ideas?...

5. benzmum

...Or is there a better discussion that I should be posting this to? OTH, am I being too impatient?? ;-)

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Looks like a case of root rot to me. This could be facilitated &/or made worse by by age, root congestion, over watering, poor nutrition etc, etc. I would chuck the whole works in the green waste. If you really have to re-use the container - soak it in a bleach solution and don't use it again till next year. "Watering feverishly" doesn't help when the rot starts. In fact, running them on the dry side is better. Usually though, I just give up. sterilize the area and container and start again.

7. benzmum

Thanks, that confirms my suspicions. Appreciate your help.