Bugs On My Tomato Plants!?!?!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by kiye, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kiye

kiye Member

My tomato plants were doins fantastic but now what is going on?
    It has rained for a week and a half and my plants have gotten very little sun. Now I am seeing these bugs on the leaves of my tomato plants. The leaves are turning yellow. I thought that it was lack of light but when I looked closer I saw these.
    :-(

IMGP8664.jpg

IMGP8667.jpg

IMGP8665.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. davina

davina Member

well me too. i live in ft lauderdale. cannot seem to grow tomatoes for anything. i got a few little cherry ones and same thing happened to mine. i just got organicide and sprayed tonight. i also found a nice big white fly, aphids by hundreds on the undersides of hibiscus leaves and a few inche worms. then i also found little black round things, not moving that i could see. but i am so disgusted with all this. i just moved into my house and planted an enormous jungle. my beautiful two tall poinciana trees i planted suddenly grew like a weed but losing leaves, they turn yellow and then fall. but the tress keep putting out new limbs etc. they are both very full. but at this rate of bugdom i wonder if i will have a garden left soon. i need help. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you do too. maybe someone will give us the clues here.

3. davina

davina Member

ah. on second look, i enlarged your photos. same things that are on the underside of the leaves of the hibiscus. they look like aphids but i hope they are not larvae of white flies. i had a huge white fly on a leav of the poinciana... god help us. the white flies are killing the ficus. where did they come from? how to get rid of them? and which plants do they devour?

4. kiye

kiye Member

I have been spraying with soap and cutting off the yellow leaves. I just added Cayanne pepper to the soap mix.
    I have found spookey spiders making web nestes on the plants also. Maybe they like to eat aphids. Urgh. Now I have some serious issues.
    I would love to learn what I can plant to balance the situation. Marigolds?
    I will keep spraying the soap.
    :-/

5. kiye

kiye Member

Looking better today. Maybe the Cayanne pepper helped. Hard to tell. Sprayed a lot of soap yesterday. I am keeping a close eye on the situation. The bugs arent completely gone but there are far fewer.
    :)