USDA restrictions on shipping citrus?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by slovi21, Jul 30, 2009.

1. slovi21

slovi21 Member

Hi. I'm new here, and new to growing, but I'm interested in getting some citrus trees that can thrive indoors in containers in eastern PA. I read that citrus trees cannot be shipped out of Florida due to regulations. I've been having trouble finding anything local to me. Any ideas? Suggestions for sources and for types of plants would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I've attached my inspiration photo :) There's something magical about having this in your house.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

Ott's Exotic Plants, Route 29, Schwenksville, PA 19473 (610) 287-7878, they don't have a website. very nice selection of various types of plants and they do have citrus things on a regular basis. decent pricing and quality of the stock is very good. yes, it's a drive for you (you can take 73 west until you hit 29 and then make a left and it'll be down a bit on the right side). it'd be well-worth it though. fabulous greenhouses and they have the plantings outside also that are lovely (and change with the seasons).

Meadowbrook Farms, which is closer to you, has a website. very good quality plants there and you can tour the gardens at any time (the house tour requires an appt). nice store & the greenhouses you can also walk around in. not sure how much citrus they do...you can always ask if they'd order something in for you (they'll do that with other types of plants, so probably would with citrus, too). the couple that run the nursery/greenhouse are very, very nice - always as helpful as they can be.

i've purchased numerous plants (wide variety of types) from both places and have been very pleased with the quality of the stock. meadowbrook prices can be a bit steep - worth it though especially for some of the less-common things they have.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. slovi21

slovi21 Member

Thanks! I'll check them out.

5. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

If you're anywhere near feasterville, Feeney's currently has Meyer lemon, Lisbon lemon and lime trees for sale. Small 16.99 and large 36.99. I just bought the small Meyer lemon and so far am very pleased with it.

Although the trees don't seem to be moving very well so they might go on clearance soon. If so I think I'll pick up a lime tree to go with my two lemons.

6. slovi21

slovi21 Member

I will be near Feeney's soon. I'll stop by and pick some up. Thanks for the tip. I'm also concerned about getting them to fruit. It seems people generally have problems with that. Any advice?

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Getting them to fruit is no problem at all *IF* you grow the plant properly. Excellent medium drainage, fertilizer twice a month, keep the tree 70+ (83F is optimum temperature for best growth) during the Spring and Summer, and at a temperature below 60F for a total of 600 hours during the winter months. Give the tree good light. - Millet (1,265-)

8. Ray from PA

slovi, I was just there yesterday and they also have Eureka lemons. The variety of lime thay have is Bearss Seedless. Also, if you want to buy the bigger Meyer Lemon tree several of them are fruiting and have sizable green lemons on them.

9. Ray from PA

Oh and now they even have bananna trees. I love Feeney's.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

That picture is just gorgeous.

Hope you enjoy UBC Gardening Forum, Slovi21!

: )

Attached Files: