Wollemi Pine

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

According to the article 'Jurassic tree' heads to Canada in the Vancouver Sun (April 22), the Kingsbrae Horticultural Garden in St. Andrews, New Brunswick has acquired a specimen of this tree. Will the UBCBG be looking into possibly adding this tree to its collection by propagating material from the one in New Brunswick?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I'm fairly certain that we were on the list, but I'll forward this post along to Douglas to confirm.

3. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Any updates on a Wollemi for the UBC garden, Daniel?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would be surprised if there wasn't one in the ground at UBC BG by next spring (or earlier).

5. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

That is fantastic! Please keep us posted.

6. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

There was an article on the radio over the weekend.....Apparently a Ms Susan Burch at UBC Okanagan branch - has one in her office......there was also an article on a recent Kelown Courier about it....

7. Daniel Mosquin

8. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

I don't know if you've seen it - but there is a 1hour (sortof) TV documentary about the discovery of the wollemi pine - it's called something like The Edge - Wild Australia. I've seen it a few times on the Outdoor Life Network here in Vancouver BC. Aside from the stunning scenery and the history of the blue mountains just near Sydney - it gives you some idea of how hidden these beasties were and maybe why they had never been discovered or tripped over even by the aboriginals.....abseiling down a 200m waterfall to get into a blind canyon doesn't sound like my idea of fun - even for a weekend bushwalk....

How's your day today?