See peeks of my Lotus seedling growing indoors, in water......

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Dec 4, 2008.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Here are some peeks of my Nelumbo Nucifera (Lotus) aquatic seedling, growing in my homemade container water garden! I germinated the seed only a few weeks ago! The first four leaves will float on top of the water, and the others will stand upright. The lotus flowers will be large and pink! The plant grows in only 4 inches of soil, with only 4 inches of water covering the soil! I will post more pics as the seedling grows.......

Attached Files:

2. martyz8

martyz8 Member

I intend to start a lotus (seed from J.L. Hudson, Seedman) in order to have it in my tropicalesque garden this summer. If I start it now (Dec), do you think it will be ready to bloom outdoors this summer? Any advice you can give me I would truly appreciate. Is this your first try at growing lotus, or have you grown before?

I also intend to start hardy waterlilies for my newly-dug pond.

3. frauleinlayla

frauleinlayla Active Member

Awesome! That didn't take long at all! Can't wait to see more pictures! I've been way too busy with schoolwork to document my own growing on here, but it's great to see your pictures!!!! =)

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Hello!

I got my Nelumbo seeds from J.L. Hudson too!!! Yes, growing it now will give it huge head start for the Spring! This is my first time growing Nelumbo with success! I was told the container must be 18 inches wide, with 4 inches of soil on the bottom (garden soil), and 4 inches of water covering the soil. After you germinate the seed in a shallow bowl of water, and the first sprout is 4 inches long - you bury the seed 1 inch below the soil, under the water. Give lots of sun, or bright light.

I have aquatic fertilizer tablets that are also buried below the soil, when the plant is older. A long, fragile tuber grows in the soil - the tuber is the be-all-end-all of the whole plant and must not be damaged! The plant can be transplanted later, from pot to pond, but must be done with gentleness. The tuber is very brittle and can snap easily!

I am a beginner at growing Lotus, but I am determined to make it work! The water can get slimy, and algae can start to grow. I use a small hand strainer to skim the top of the water - which makes it crystal clear again! A few days ago, I added an old fountain pump to the water - I was told it prevents algae from forming so quickly, and the plant thrives from the air bubbles! We shall see.......

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hey,
    I don't have any of these at home but they were planted into a small dam at a nursery where I worked. They originally planted 2 or 3 colours but white became the pre dominant one eventually taking over. I don't know how true this is but I was told that this will always happen where 1 colour will eventually take over.
    I can definitely add though that I'd be wary of where you plant one of these as the dam very quickly filled with Lotus. The temperatures in winter dropped enough for the plant to become dormant but it always came back twice as big. I have seen them in shallow bowls before and that made quite a nice display.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  6. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you Chungii V!

Yes I heard that Lotus can take over too - I plan on growing mine in a container permanently - or as long as it will survive! I don't know about the one color dominating the others, but it sounds possible.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

: )

Just thought I'd revive this thread, and show a pic of my new Nelumbo. Unfortunately, the one in the pic above did not make it, and I have since grown a new one. The fourth shoot is on it's way up!

Check out my new lotus seedling, growing wonderfully this April...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  8. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi, The Hollyberry Lady;

Nice experience and thanks for sharing. In fact I was just going to try the same next week.
    I have some questions pls.
    -Did you make any treatment on to the seed, such as filing the shell to get thinner?
    -What king of water did you use for germinating, distelled or normal tap water?
    -How warm did you keep this water during germination and did you change it from time to time?

You know, it is written lots of stuff on the net but I believe what comes out from your personal experience will be the most accurate one.
    Thanks in advance. Brgds

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks for the questions tugo : )

Yes, I did file the seed with a nail file, just enough to let some water in. I used regular tap water, in a small jar, which I then placed on my heat mat, under my florescent light system. The water needs to be changed if it gets murky. The seed popped, in three days! I then waited until the 1st shoot was about two inches long, before burying it in the soil, in my container pond, in front of my south facing window.

Hope this answers your questions. Will you growing yours outside, or inside? What color will your flowers be? Mine will be yellow!

Apparently, Nelumbo is fussy about keeping the water level always the same too, so I try to keep the container topped up, as some of the water evaporates every day.

Also too, I have to use a little strainer to skim the top of the water every 4 days, when the beginnings of algae start to form! The strainer works well, and my water is always clean and attractive looking. After all - this is in my living room, so I want it to look nice.

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have. I wish you luck with your Lotus. It really is a fun and amazing plant to grow.

Enjoy...

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Worth noting:

If you do not have a heat mat, or a florescent light system, that's ok too! I once germinated a seed in a jar, right on my south facing window sill! It just might take a litte longer, but it will sprout.

As well, only a small little patch on the seed, needs to be filed - not the entire seed!

11. tugo

tugo Active Member

Thanks a lot indeed, for such simple and clear explanation. All clear in my head now. I should have started earlier in order to transfer them to the outside pond this summer, but I just got 2 seeds from some one a few days ago and I believe I have to grow them indoors till the other spring but let's see what is on the road now.

Colours will be a surprise for me. He whom delivered them to me does not know also.

Actually in my out door pond, I have hardy water lilies and I learned how to propagate them but Lotus and also from seed will be my first experience. I think I will start some day this week and keep you posted:)) Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  12. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh yes, I'd love to know how yours does too - and maybe even see a picture! We can keep in touch, and compare notes.

I am glad it is all clear in your mind now. I'm certain it will work out for you in your outdoor pond! So I guess you just want to start the seed inside, but then transfer it to your pond later - is this correct?

I will show more pics of mine as it progresses...

Great too, that the colors will be a surprise! Some varieties may take years to flower, I am told.

13. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi Hollyberry Lady;

Thanks for your very useful information and yes ofcourse will be glad to keep in contact and exchange experiences.

Yes, for Nelumbo, if all goes right, her permanent home will be my pond but of course not till it is mature enough to survive there.

Propagating water lilies is not difficult at all. Almost every 2 years have to take out the water lily and clean the soil around the stems by water and there you see the rhisom, with new eyes or new sections if any.

When you examine, it is very clear where to divide from. I cut them in pieces like potatoes and have potted them separately by also giving some fertiliser. That’s all.
    Then comes out the beauties.

Today I believe I will start with nelumbo seeds. Wish me good luck)
    rhisom1.JPG
    prop1.JPG
    nyp.JPG

14. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi Hollyberry Lady;

First I have to say “wooow” because I have visited your photo album and read your previous posts, you have a “green hand”, we say here. All your plants are beautiful.

Yes I started with the Nelumbo seeds. I have filed them a bit but not much, was afraid to harm them. May take longer to sprout, no problem I have time, also I do not have a heating mat and in front of the window is abt 80 F when the sun shoots. One of the seeds stayed floating as the other sinked. I will keep my fingers crossed for the coming weeks:))

Will keep in contact. Bye.
    Nelumboseeds.JPG

Nelseedwat.JPG

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow tugo - your pond is just gorgeous! Thank you for the wonderful pictures!

Ok, the Nelumbo seeds look great - you did a good job filing them. They should germinate for you no problem, especially with the heat mat warming the water.

Your Nelumbo will more than survive in your pond. The tuber goes dormant in Winter, but starts sending up new growth every Spring/Summer! My friend has one in her pond, and it comes back every year! What an interesting plant.

Glad you liked my photo album - thanks for the compliments. :)

I just know you are going to have success! You are doing everything correctly. Plus too, you have a beautiful pond to offer your Nelumbo as it's home - it will be in it's glory!!!

This is so exciting. I love it that you are dong it too, and we are corresponding about it. Good luck with your little Lotus. I am certain it will all work out well.

The fourth shoot on my seedling, has now emerged! Plus the leaves that are already formed, are getting bigger by the day!

16. tugo

tugo Active Member

Second day, had to change the water because it turned out to have a tan colour. Also the floating seed sink down.

17. The Hollyberry Lady

It's ok that the seed sunk to the bottom - this is normal. Also very common for the water to change color too - you are doing great! Your little Nelumbo seed should sprout any day now...

18. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi Hollyberry Lady;
    6th day and the first sprout:))
    veery happy:))
    ilkçimlenme.jpg

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Ohhhh, how wonderful tugo!!!! I am sooo glad for you - I just knew it would work out! I had every faith.

Tomorrow, you should plunk the seed down into some soil, burying it an inch deep. The stem will continue to grow upwards until it reaches the surface. There is 4-5 inches of soil in the bottom of my container, and there is 8-10 inches of water, this time round, just to give you an idea.

You are doing terrific! It's so much fun, isn't it? Looks like you have a strong little sprout there - good for you! Thanks for the picture - I just love pics.

Have fun and enjoy...

20. tugo

tugo Active Member

Thanks for the compliments The Hollyberry Lady; just following you, nothing much.
    One seedling I planted as per the first pictur and then covered it with water. Ofcourse the debris did not settled yet. I have chosen such a plastic container because if the seedling becomes enough strong and the night temperatures also rise up, it will be easy to place it in the pond, to the necessary depth by using the ropes attached. And when I need to repot to a larger one, easy to cut this one from the sides and take out the rhisom. Hope to see the first leave over the water level:))
    DSC00692.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - I see how the sprout is coming up out of the water now! I'm sure it will be just fine, until you transplant it to your pond! Thanks for the picture tugo. Keep up the good work! Your little Nelumbo is off to a good start!

22. tugo

tugo Active Member

The little sprout gets bigger everyday.
    I believe the second seed is dead by now, it has been 9 days since put in the water. Second day in the water I had seed some white form that I belive some fungus, and today it start floating, again, on the water level. But when I touch it, it seems not rotten yet, shell is still hard.

Another funny thing happened. I got 3 more seeds from the same source and yesterday, after filing, I put them to another pot with water and within half an hour, all three had their outer shells broken into pieces irregularly. Let's wait and see if this is something positive or they are also dead.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Sometimes, if Nelumbo doesn't sprout, it's because the hard outer shell wasn't filed quite enough - however in your case, I believe you did it correctly.

These seeds are usually very hardy, and are said to last anywhere from 100 to 1000 years!!! If they don't pop in week, I would try again with some fresh seeds. Cooler temperatures too, would definitely slow germination of Nelumbo.

Sounds like your other one is coming right along! Excellent! At least you have one success! Don't feel bad, because I have been trying to grow this plant to completion for a long time now! Hopefully this will be the best time yet...

Thanks for keeping me posted, tugo.

24. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear Hollyberry Lady, hope all ok with you.

Now I have another question pls. The leave you see from the photo is over the water level since some days and it looks a bit dry. Do you think that I have to incease the water level till the leave stays under the water? or just keep it like that?

2-3 days ago I had added some liquid fertiliser to the water.

The very first seed still did not sprout yet but the last 3 that I got after, allready did and they are also potted.That was the good news.
    Thanks in advance. Brgds
    nel.jpg

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Make sure tugo, that you keep pushing that sprout with the leaf, back down into the water, or it will dry up and die! I have had it happen! Just keep pushing it back and training it to lay down. As the stem grows longer it will sit on top of the water on it's own, but you must help some of them along.

Glad your other seeds sprouted for you! That's great.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009