Tiny pears

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by LindaKress, Jan 20, 2014.

1. LindaKress

LindaKress New Member

My pear tree had hundreds of pears last year, even after I picked hundreds off. They did not get bigger than dimes. Many are still on the tree. It bloomed again in the fall even with the fruit still on it. This was only it's second year of producing, the prior year it had 2 giant pears on it. What could the problem be?

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like it could be a pollination issue: poor pollination can still result in fruit, but of a very small size. Do you have a pollinator planted as well, or is it a solitary tree? Previous year's larger fruit could either be due to the fact there were only two, or perhaps there was adequate pollination that season....

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pears may be partially (or effectively fully) self-fertile so a scattering of sized up fruit could be explained by that. The rest could all be unfertilized duds, I suppose - isolated chestnut trees actually waste energy year after year producing crops of nearly complete fruits with flat, unfilled nuts inside.

4. LindaKress

LindaKress New Member

Thank you both for the information. There were so many pears and they stayed on the tree for so long I never thought about it perhaps being a polination problem. I have another pear tree so they could polinate one another, but it has yet to bloom. They were planted at the same time, however the other one got broken off and is having to play catch up.