Identification: What cherry please! i just bought it :)

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by tee212, Jul 17, 2009.

1. tee212

tee212 Member

can anyone tell? :)

The nursery was uncertain of what type of cherry, but he did say it was pretty crazy cherry due to the fact that its still blooming mid summer (july) in california.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Flowers being produced now may be atypical. Lots of dead twigs also. Clean those out of it, try to figure out what it is next spring or another time when it might be doing better and behaving in a more orthodox fashion.

Suspect it is 'Kanzan', leaves and flowers similar. Thousands of these are present up here. There is some variation among them.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

But the stems with the very short or missing peduncle aren't similar to Kanzan. I'd be interested to see the front and back of the flower, with the photo also showing the stems, next year too. Can the stems can be so different just because it's so out of season? (The answer seemed to be yes, based on something else I posted, but I'm not persuaded yet).

This Japan Mint page shows something called 'Kouka' that has short stems like that. It doesn't say when it would flower. Of course, it's more likely to be something we've heard of, which Kouka is not.

4. tee212

tee212 Member

Hi again! can someone explain this type of cherry? for some reason it changed to yellowish green flowers now!

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

Tee212, just to clarify, this is the same little tree pictured in the first posting, with what looks like whitish flowers (but that's the flash and they really were pink?). (Does sun bleach blossoms that are out when it's way past their normal time?) The ones that are pink are from this same tree and they're that colour when they're at the peak of their bloom, before they turn white? And then the centre petals curl up and look pointy at the ends and turn white with green lines, but the outside ones stay flat and rounded on the ends and are white?

Are the leaves stiff or flexible like most ornamental cherry leaves? How long are they? And speaking of size, what's the diameter of the blossoms?

They told you for sure it's a cherry?

6. tee212

tee212 Member

hi wendy, had the tree for about 1 month now. Today i just notice the greenish yellowish white pedals. The blossoms are about 1 to 1.5 inch wide, the leaves get to about 3-4 inches long and yes flexible. Right now the new growth on the blossoms are a dark pink then light pink then whitish now its greenish lol!!?? and yes the old man told me its a cherry but unsure he had many other flowering cherries around but for some reason he said this is one crazy!

7. wcutler

OK, I'll make a guess, assuming that it's really a cherry. What about 'Asano'? Kuitert, in Japanese Flowering Cherries, says that 'Asano' typically has pointed petals, the peduncles are short (.01-1cm) and pedicels are short (2-3 cm, so one inch), flowers about 3.5 cm in diameter, which is just over one inch, one or two pistils - so far matches what you're showing us and have described. The blossom photo in the book is whitish pink. There is no mention of leaf size or of the flowers changing colour. There's a photo here, with no description.

I should mention that I'm not a botanist and my guesses used to be about 95% wrong, though I've gotten a few possibly right this year.

8. tee212

tee212 Member

Thanks wendy the asano looks very similar! do you think its just some hybrid? via the change in pedal shape and colors?

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Asano' not included by Jacobson in North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed, Berkeley) which indicates he did not see it (listed by that name, anyway) in nursery catalogs or other references showing it had been dispersed here.

Specimen being discussed needs to be studied during normal main spring flush, when flowers produced less likely to be atypical.

10. wcutler

That would of course make it less likely to be the right ID. 'Asano' is also called 'Geraldinae' and seems to be cited on some Dutch pages and a Swedish forum, so it's known outside of Japan.