Identification: Boletus ID

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by huc, Jul 7, 2008.

1. huc

huc Member

I have a nice firm boletaceae specimen here but can't ID. Dry tan, convex, not pointed cap about 3 inches wide, white pore surface that does not stain, very small pores, sunken only slightly around stalk, solid white flesh. Cap somewhat wrinkled but not cracked, netted or otherwise distinctive, dry when collected, but now a bit waxy/slimy with 2 days in the fridge. Stalk 4 to 5 inches tall, equal to slightly swollen at base and 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter, wrinkled or corrugated with slight brown tinge on ridges. In general, this one looks like a lot of bitter boletes that I've seen, but is not bitter. Found growing in Western New York in a well developed mixed mesophytic forest with oak, tulip poplar, maples, ash, beech, pignut hickories, and a few hemlock, on the ground (not on wood or near the base of any particular tree). My first interest is what it might be ( no perfect match in the guides that I have), and the second is whether or not I can eat it! Sorry no photos for now; Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008