Clematis (Multi Blue)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Durgan, May 30, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Clematis (Multi Blue)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MultiB 30 May 2009 Clematis (Multi Blue)
    This clematis is on a raised bed, which was built when my garden area was a quagmire, before installing drainage trenches. Flowering seems to be about a week early this year. The plant needs little car, just a bit of top trimming in early Spring.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

That is one stunning clematis, Durgan. I have two clematis vines myself. Do you by chance know how and when to collect the seeds from these wonderful vines?

: )

3. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Hybrid seeds won't grow true to form. It may take a few years for seeds to germinate. I find it much easier to take cuttings in the Spring.
    Collect the seeds when they have turned brown in the Fall.

My Clematis Blue didn't do so well the first year. I cut it back a little but it did not appear at all the next year. After two years I decided it was dead. I dug down to get the dead root so I could plant something else in its place and, lo and behold, the root was very healthy with a new growing shoot. I quickly covered it up again and last year it rewarded me with one shoot, producing about half a dozen flowers. This year it has seven shoots and, today, the 38th flower opened. What amazing plants they are!

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh yes, I know about hybrid seeds not being true, but where exactly are the seeds on a clematis plant? Will there be a pod that will develop after the bloom falls?

5. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

The seeds are in the seed head which is produced after the flowers fade. If you can't see any seeds, there probably aren't any. Some hybrids don't produce many seeds. It's easy to see the seeds in large flowered hybrids. When they turn brown, that's when to pick them as that indicates they are ripened and dry and ready to store. Some hybrids grown from seed never flower. It can be a frustrating business but given patience, it can be very rewarding to produce a clematis from seed.
    Good luck in your endeavor, if you try it.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

I do not believe my clematis is a hybrid, so no worries. Thanks for explaining about the seeds - I've never tried to collect them before.

Yes, I know it would be rewarding to grow one from seed, because I grow everything from seed. I will look for them in the Fall...