Identification: 3 House Plant ID and Help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dsvarups, Apr 23, 2006.

1. dsvarups

dsvarups Member

I purchased 3 house plants from Ikea, and after getting home I somehow lost the labels for them, and there growing instructions. I am after there names and recommended growing instructions and ideal locations? As you can see they are not doing so well.

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

#1 im not sure what it is ... #2 might be a type of Palm .. #3 is a Dracenea Marginata (check the spelling on that one) and from the pots they are in it looks like you might not have any drainage on them .. i would get them in pots with drainage .. and they also look really wet right now .. i would wait a lil while to water them again atleast let the dirt dry down a few inches first .. and i wouldt give them direct light right now gve them some filtered sun ..

Marn

3. dsvarups

dsvarups Member

Thanks for the information.

The plants were transfered from their plastic pots recently to ceramic pots for decoration purposes with new compost, and watered.

I am fairly new to plants and not sure what is the best method regarding pots.

Should I get some larger pots, and replant them into smaller plastics pots so there is drainage inside the ceramic pots?

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

the best kind of pots is ones with big hole in the bottom and a tray for under them .. it just gives it more air and the water will evaporate faster ..not sit around for a long time and get old and cause mold in the dirt in the bottom of the pot and you end up with root rot .. wich kills plants fast .. you cna find alot of decorative pots out there that have trays for bottoms instead of the sleeve type pots..

Marn

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

1. Hard to tell but may be Pachira aquatica, Money Tree.
    2. Palm seedlings, perhaps a species of Howea, Sentry Palm.
    3. Dracaena marginata, Madagascar Dragon Tree.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Here's another possibility for #2. There were some similar looking palms at the local nursery. The stem bases had tiny speckles which remind me of those on Dypsis lutescens, (syn. Chrysalidocarpus lutescens, Areca lutescens), Areca Palm.