Vancouver - Locating wild Sambucus cerulea (blue elderberry)

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Steveshotton, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Steveshotton

Steveshotton Member

This is my first time using this forum.

I was hoping for help in locating some wild blue elderberry - Sambucus cerulea. From research it appears that it is indigenous to the lower mainland area, BC.

I recently moved back from living in the UK and while there was introduced to the elderberry / flower. I really enjoy the uses of this plant and would live to find it.

I live in the tri cities area but would travel to find.

Anyone help me to locate????????????

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A combination in use is Sambucus nigra ssp. caerulea. The online RHS Plant Finder gives one British supplier.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I travel by a plant every day on my commute -- but it is in a city park and cannot be harvested from. Did you want to find a plant to see or to harvest from?

6. Steveshotton

Steveshotton Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I have not seen a plant locally but havent invested enough time to searching while out for a walk maybe?

Just hoping to find one or some to be able to enjoy the wonderful fruits and flowers.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

There is a plant on the fence at our local Senior Center. Do you ever get down to Anacortes? The Plant is on the east side of the building on the fence line. barb

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  9. Steveshotton

Steveshotton Member

Thank you very much Daniel, I plan on keeping my eyes peeled!!! ... :)

Barbra................. Not down at Anacortes too often but if i am i will take a look.

Cheers
    Steve

10. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

I was also going to suggest the Byrne creek site, but I see Daniel has already noted it, with map photos!.

11. Grant Taylor

Grant Taylor New Member

Hi there, Daniel...
    I went looking aorund at Byrne Creek today for elderberry, but didn't see any berries (0r plants)...
    Is it Red Elderberry or Black that is at the Byrne site?
    I would expect Black might be fruiting right now.

12. Chris Morris

Chris Morris Active Member 10 Years

I bought my blue elderberry at Dykhof nurseries in North Vancouver two or three years ago in the native plants section.
    I've heard it grows in parts of North Vancouver.
    Lots of red elderberry in the still creek area around the Kensington overpass, also growing in my yard nearby as volunteers.

13. Daniel Mosquin

@Grant Taylor still plenty of fruits on the one at the Byrne site. As you drive (or walk) westbound on Southridge Drive downhill from the lights at Byrnepark Drive, you will be paralleling a tall embankment on the right. Where that embankment ends, there is a sub-road grade hollow, and the multi-stemmed plant is there (readily visible at driving speeds when in fruit, as the stems are above-grade). It is still among the finest blue elderberries I've seen, though I encountered quite a few the past few weeks during a collection trip throughout southern BC.

Grant Taylor likes this.
  14. Grant Taylor

Grant Taylor New Member

Hi Daniel... Yes, I went by the other day and saw it this time... I think when I went in mid-August, it must not have been fruiting or I was blind ;) I picked a few fruits that were low hanging and am trying my hand a drying them... Thank you very much for you help on this...

15. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    it is very common over on the Okanagan side of the Cascades / Coast mountains.
    Elderberry (blue) - Okanagan Xeriscape Association

the red berry version is more common on the Pacific side of the same mountain ranges, i notice.

birds and other wildlife really enjoy these berries, so we don't tend to pick them