Vancouver area: Winter veggie gardening in containers

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Konachick, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Konachick

Konachick Active Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum as a poster, but have referred to discussion threads many times in the past!

I have been experimenting with container vegetable gardening on my patio over the last few years and am now venturing into winter gardening this year. Currently my containers outside have beets, kale, and gai lan that were started in September (due to a cabbage moth caterpillar attack of my seedlings that were started in July --- good thing we had such a great run of sunshine in Sep!).

It is now late October and I'm still thinking of putting out new veggies, and just wanted to get some thoughts from those who are experienced winter gardeners in the Vancouver area. I can start seeds with my Aerogarden, so I have already started a tray of beets growing in egg cartons (they are starting to get their first set of true leaves), and am thinking of starting some scallion sets after the beets go out.

Am I crazy to try putting new seedlings out now? or do you have any suggestions for veggies that may survive being transplanted now? I would only have very shallow (6 inch deep) planters, so I suppose I could also try cold hardy lettuce. Thoughts? Or should I just be patient?

Thanks! Donna

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I find two things really affect my success with winter gardens: degree of shelter (from being drowned or frozen) and sunlight. I grow lettuces and other greens in a non-heated, unlit greenhouse, which provides the shelter they need. But nothing grows very fast if it doesn't have light, and it's super easy to overwater. I have found that if I don't start them by the end of September there just isn't enough day length to keep them going.

I would not start anything new now -- you will not get enough light to give it a good start before January. You will have better luck starting seed in a sheltered location in late January or early February.

keke

PS. The one thing you can start now would be garlic, because it will not be ready until next summer. It may not come up until spring, but it will be growing roots! Put pansies in the pot over top and let it grow...

3. Konachick

Konachick Active Member

Hi Keke, thanks for your advice... so I should be patient is what you're saying :) I have planted garlic already and some have started sprouting. Our patio is sheltered and I have moved my pots as close to the building as possible, while still partially exposed to the rain. It's only a few degrees warmer right near the house, but I suppose that's better than nothing. I think through the darkest part of winter they will only get about 4.5 hours of sunlight (and of course that will be filtered through our heavy cloud cover).

What veggies are you thinking I could try in January?

As for the veggies I have in the ground right now, I realize I may be being a little optimistic with the beets, as they are probably growing slower than they would in the spring given the cold temperatures and less sunlight. According to the seed packet they should be ready by mid-November, but they sure are are small still!

I'll hold tight and hopefully my beets will be ready by the holidays! I'm also thinking the kale and gai lan will not be ready until spring. Ah well... I'll plan better next year!

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Are all your containers only 6 inch deep? You can't expect good results with soil so shallow. Most vegetables send roots very deep if the conditions allow and only then they will perform truly well (see a picture of my over-four-feet-tall Kale Redbor growing in deep, well amended with organic materials soil).

Still, you could try to grow smaller vegetables like Spinach, Radishes or Lettuce. They are all more or less cold hardy and should be able to withstand Vancouver winter temperatures.

Attached Files:

5. FrancoCan

FrancoCan Member

What i find interesting is planting radicchio, endive, scarola (Italian chard) and a few that like but i do not have the name of and of course rapinni ( like guy lan) for harvest in early spring (very early) The only thing I plant in pots in the winter are strawberries...I grow them in my sauna (not functional) using a grow light. Eating strawberries all year (60) pots. Not quite the same taste as the outdoor summer variety but still taste like pesticide free natural strawberries.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. Konachick

Konachick Active Member

Sundrop: Don't worry, I have my beets, kale, and gai lan in pots that range from 12 - 24 inches deep, and I use Sea Soil to amend the soil. The six inch pots are all that I have left. Thanks for the tips... I did harvest my fall radishes already! And I keep toying with the idea of putting out some lettuce or scallions, but I haven't committed to anything yet.

FrancoCan: If the gai lan does well this year I may try rapini next time!

Thanks to you both!