West End / Stanley Park

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Jan 31, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: West End, Stanley Park

Yes I have seen young Tai Haku trees, I just wasn't paying attention. The ones planted outside UBC Botanical Garden look just like that shape.

2. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - Birch bark in Stanley Park

I had no idea there was a Serrula in Stanley Park. It's an old one too - I'm terrible at guessing height, but maybe 40 feet tall? The bark isn't all that striking, but it's clearly peeling and is shiny in a few places. The flowers look appropriate.
    20080505_StanleyPk_Serrula_Cutler_5573r.jpg 20080505_StanleyPk_Serrula_Cutler_5574r.jpg 20080505_StanleyPk_Serrula_Cutler_5579r.jpg

It's hard to describe where there is - it's the second place you can turn toward the west end going north along the path west of the golf course near the lagoon. Here's a photo with a hint of some reference points - it's the tree on the far right. I've tried to put the spot on a map but I'm not certain I have it right.
    20080505_StanleyPk_Serrula_Cutler_5586r.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - War Memorial trees

The Shirotae at the Japanese Memorial near the Aquarium are about finished now, but there are still blossoms on the trees and they still smell wonderful.
    20080505_Memorial_Shirotae_Cutler_5616r.jpg

The Ojochin or whatever we'll decide it is right at the memorial is also about finished - its blossoms have red centres now and they also still smell wonderful - or maybe even better than before. They've been reported in the Cultivar IDs forum, as they're not really identified for sure yet.

The show right now is over near the playground just past the memorial - a grove of a dozen Shirofugens in full bloom.
    20080505_Memorial_Shirofugen_Cutler_5623r.jpg 20080505_Memorial_Shirofugen_Cutler_5648r.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  4. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - late blossoms

Here are late blossoms on two of my favourite trees. The first is outside the building I used to live in. This one is on Cardero; around the corner on Comox, the other one opened several days later and is not showing the late colouring yet.
    20080505_CarderoComox_Shirofugen_Cutler_5653r.jpg 20080505_CarderoComox_Shirofugen_Cutler_5654r.jpg 20080505_CarderoComox_Shirofugen_Cutler_5655r.jpg

This is the Ichiyo in the lane east of Cardero, between Barclay and Nelson. These blossoms also have their red centres.
    20080505_CarderoLane_Ichiyo_Cutler_5656r.jpg 20080505_CarderoLane_Ichiyo_Cutler_5658r.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  5. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park Amanogawa and Pink Perfection

How can it only be a week ago I posted the Amanogawa photo from Broughton and Alberni? It seems like a month. The dozen or so young trees packed together in a private planting on the southeast corner look quite nice now. [Edited by wcutler 2012mar21]: these are no longer there.
    20080507_AlberniBroughton_Amanogawa_Cutler_5751r.jpg

Across Alberni on Broughton, up to Georgia, are three young Pink Perfections - two in a private planting and one a street tree.
    20080507_BroughtonAlberni_PP_Cutler_5753r.jpg 20080507_BroughtonAlberni_PP_Cutler_5756cr.jpg 20080507_BroughtonAlberni_PP_Cutler_5764cr.jpg 20080507_BroughtonAlberni_PP_Cutler_5759cr.jpg
    20080507_BroughtonGeorgia_PP_Cutler_5766cr.jpg 20080507_BroughtonGeorgia_PP_Cutler_5768cr.jpg 20080507_BroughtonGeorgia_PP_Cutler_5769cr.jpg

Across Georgia, the trees seem to have been planted at the same time as the street tree on the south side, but the sepals look more like Kanzans and I find the stamens ambiguous. Am I looking here at filaments that are not vexillate? So these are Kanzans? [edited 2009apr23 by wcutler:] Today these trees are not yet in bloom, but the leaves are definitely the bronze Kanzan colour.
    20080507_BroughtonGeorgia_Kanzan_Cutler_5772r.jpg 20080507_BroughtonGeorgia_Kanzan_Cutler_5777r.jpg 20080507_BroughtonGeorgia_Kanzan_Cutler_5775cr.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Been a while since I was around there. Maybe 10 years ago as a family walking through the park when we visited family and friends.

My dad used to take me out in a rowboat near that park when I was a young child.

7. wcutler

You thought the season was over? It's not over till the Shirofugens transform all their pistils into little leaf-looking things. It's June 11 and there are still blossoms on the Shirofugens - not enough that the trees look great, but if you look carefully, you can see some amazing blossoms. These are from three trees at English Bay, down from Jervis St.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

Re: Seasonal divider, and new blossoms

Well, I thought I was going to get some autumn leaves here to divide the 2008 postings from the next year's, but the Autumnalis Rosea blossoms are coming out in the West End (right when they're supposed to), so this divider idea didn't work all that well. Here are a few Shirofugen leaves, from the seawall below Jervis St.
    20081009_WestEndSeawall_Shirofugen_Cutler_9109.jpg 20081009_WestEndSeawall_Shirofugen_Cutler_9112.jpg

And here are some blossoms from the are-you-sure-it's-alive Autumnalis Rosea on Burnaby St at Cardero mini-park, and from the Nicola at Pendrell mini-park. The Nicola trees are behind a chain-link fence, as there's work being done on the apartment building next door.
    20081011_CarderoMinipark_AutumnalisRosea_Cutler_9296a.jpg 20081011_NicolaMinipark_AutumnalisRosea_Cutler_9182.jpg

9. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You remember the Festival favourite Akebonos on Georgia near Denman that surround a pool with fountains? They are starting to show off their colours. Perhaps next weekend these shots can be updated to show something even more spectacular.

Attached Files:

10. Sue Wagner

And on the south side of Georgia, between Broughton and Jervis, there is a row of Shirotae in a condo planting. Some of the trees really don't look all that healthy but a fallen leaf showing off its long hair-tipped marginal teeth was a beauty.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  11. Sue Wagner

Those Shirofugen..... The circle on Georgia, between Bute and Jervis, were all green on Saturday but by Monday had started to demonstrate their fall colours. The five days of warm temperatures, cool nights and no rain have probably been responsible.

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

Re: West End, Stanley Park - Autumn colours

Here are three Shirofugens on the English Bay seawall, down from Jervis, photos taken October 30, 2008. [Comment added by wcutler Dec 5, 2008: the Parks Board removed the root stock shoots some time last month.]
    20081030_EnglishBay_Shirofugen_Cutler_9866.jpg 20081030_EnglishBay_Shirofugen_Cutler_9867.jpg

And this is a (mis-matched) set of trees on Comox at Cardero: Takasago on the left, with the very deep, slightly purple leaf colour, then the orange Spire and not yet coloured Shirofugen. The second photo is the Shirofugen around the corner on Cardero, colouring up before the first one. These photos were taken October 25.
    20081025_ComoxCardero_TakasagoSpireShiro_Cutler_9661.jpg 20081025_ComoxCardero_Shirofugen_Cutler_9665.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  13. wcutler

Re: * POSTED - Shirotae (now Shirofugen) - Stanley Park at the Japanese Memorial

Here's some autumn colour from these trees. The first photo are the Shirofugens, next are the Shirotae, and in the third, a Shirofugen is in the foreground and the Shirotae in the distance. Photos are from November 2, 2008.

14. wcutler

Re: Aquatic Centre cherries - storm damage - FIRST POSTING FOR 2009

First Posting of 2009

The Whitcomb, first photo, lost half its branches in the recent storms. Bill Stephen of the Parks Board confirms that it is likely to be removed. One of the Accolades, the other photos, lost a large branch, but the tree is to be repaired.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  15. wcutler

2009 Favourites - First up: Autumnalis Rosea on Pacific at Burrard

I'm pushing it a bit, but there have been blossoms on these trees since November. Now is a good time to check out 'Autumnalis Rosea' to distinguish them from Accolades. These trees have very sparse blossoms all over the trees, and the blossoms are very small. 'Accolades' right now might have one or two branches with a few blossoms that are larger than the 'Autumnalis Rosea' blossoms, but most of the branches have no open blossoms yet.

This is Prunus x subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rosea', on the north side of Pacific St, in front of the restored houses of the Pacific Heights Co-op.
    01-ARPacific.gif 20090123_PacificBurrard_AR_Cutler_2739c.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  16. wcutler

Re: 2009 Favourites - First up: Autumnalis Rosea on Pacific at Burrard

Well, this 'Autumnalis Rosea' was up, but after the first snow, and then the second snow, 'the Autumnalis Rosea' are not worth a trip anywhere now, as of March 3, though there are a few blossoms. As consolation for anyone who stops by at Pacific Heights, there's a Whitcomb at the top of the centre stairs that's probably as far along as any in the city. This photo [edited by wcutler: of the Whitcomb] is from March 3.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  17. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Usually at Nelson and Bute these are in full bloom by*mid January..... check them out....at Nelson House!

18. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Second picture shows single strong pink flowers like those of 'Whitcomb'.

19. wcutler

Not this year. We're talking about Whitcombs here. One was cut down at Nelson and Bute, and the other (half a tree) has blossoms, but it's not worth a posting yet. Well, OK, I'm attaching a photo of the part that was in bloom on Feb 26. I'll post it when you can actually see the colour from the other side of the street. Actually, I think you mean Nelson and Jervis - they're not in bloom yet either, and are behind this one at the other end of the block.

You can post photos here too! Click Post Reply for all reports in the Neighbourhood Blogs.

Attached Files:

20. wcutler

I was really unclear in my posting. I was sort of quoting myself saying the Autumnalis Rosea was first up, but wasn't up any more. So I posted a photo of the consolation tree, a Whitcomb, and I've edited the posting to say that. Thanks, Ron.

21. K Baron

They bloomed in December....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  22. wcutler

I should really mention that the Autumnalis Rosea that are the festival favourites in this thread are NOT worth a trip now. I have no idea if they're going to be in bloom later in the month, with a great show of all the blossoms that are usually spread out over the winter, or if there will be nothing, particularly since it's supposed to be below freezing again this weekend.

And while I'm at it, I'm trying out the new version of a more legal google map, so there might be another map here, or there might not, and I might keep editing this until there is.
    [gmap]<iframe width="150" height="150" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp;hl=en&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=102530710726726651981.00044746c64da246329bc&amp;s=AARTsJrCcd3CFGH6jt_CXk3cYqCz9N_-MA&amp;ll=49.278305,-123.133478&amp;spn=0.008399,0.012875&amp;z=15&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp;hl=en&amp;msa=0&amp;msid=102530710726726651981.00044746c64da246329bc&amp;ll=49.278305,-123.133478&amp;spn=0.008399,0.012875&amp;z=15&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/gmap]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  23. wcutler

Well, there's one Whitcomb in bloom. It's a private tree behind the highrise at Beach and Gilford, so visible from Pendrell. There are about five trees, and only this one near the building has really coloured up.

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

Did I say spring was coming? Here's the tree in the previous posting. That was March 7, 2009; today is March 9.
    20090309_PendrellGilfordWhitcomb_Cutler_DSC00614.jpg 20090309_PendrellGilfordWhitcomb_Cutler_DSC00612.jpg

Here are blossoms from the half a Whitcomb remaining at the Aquatic Centre on Beach Avenue [Edited by wcutler 2012feb22:]The rest of this tree was removed.
    20090309_BeachAveWhitcomb_Cutler_DSC00604.jpg 20090309_BeachAveWhitcomb_Cutler_DSC00605.jpg

And these are Accolades coming across the street from the Aquatic Centre. They were definitely not a splash of colour before the snow fell. These will be festival favourites for 2009, so will be reported in a couple of weeks in the Favourites forum.
    20090309_BeachAveAccolade_Cutler_DSC00597.jpg 20090309_BeachAveAccolade_Cutler_DSC00596.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  25. K Baron

And now we can expect even more snow tonight!

I can only hope for warmer temperatures as we approach spring....

where ever that may be....