transplanting a yellow bird magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by jackbobby, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jackbobby

jackbobby Member

I have a 7' yellow bird magnolia. I planted this tree in my garden last spring. I would like to relocate it to a different part of yard. What is the best season or time of year to do this?

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Now, soon, or next spring. Magnolias are best transplanted while dormant, in the late winter or early spring.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Can also be moved in leaf if growth is mature, such as end of summer. Dawson magnolia I moved one summer made a great growth of new roots the same season (60 percent of root elongation for whole year occurs in autumn, after growth matures and terminal buds are set).

I wouldn't move a deciduous magnolia during a time that it was not going to be making any growth (root or top), these seem to be apt to die then (supposedly the cut roots rot, although I've never heard of any scientific testing of magnolia transplanting).

4. JRN

JRN Member

Did you end up transplanting the tree? What did you do, when did you do it and how is it doing now? I have a 15' Yellow Bird Magnolia that I would like to tree spade and take with me when I move. It is a memorial tree for my son. I want to be sure that I do everything possible to ensure success because this tree cannot be replaced. Any suggestions?

5. jackbobby

jackbobby Member

I did transplant the tree and it is doing great. I would suggest you get a professional to transplant the tree as it sounds like it is pretty big.....good luck!

6. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

JRN, when are you moving? Is there time to prepare the tree for the move? If there is any risk to the tree, I would not hesitate explaining the situation to the new property owner; then move the tree, when it can best handle it. It would be shocking to me if the owner did not understand.

7. JRN

JRN Member

There is no time limit for the move of the tree - it was written into the offer. I just want to do it at the best time for the tree. What should I do to prepare it? Oddly enough, it's blooming again right now (has been for the past two weeks). I am planning to get a professional tree spade service to do it. Jackbobby, did you transplant in the spring?

8. jackbobby

jackbobby Member

Yes I did. The tree looks great and I hope it will come back after our hard winter here in Canada......thanks.