defoliation of lemon and lime trees

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tomcsy44, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tomcsy44

tomcsy44 Member

I have a Meyer's Improved Lemon Tree and a Persian Lime tree that I keep potted on our deck. Both trees have done well until recently. The weather dipped below 22 degrees Farenheit a couple nights in a row, and I noticed that both trees have been dropping leaves to the point that both are almost devoid of them. Are they going to come back?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chances are they will, so long as the stems wheren't damaged in the freeze. The full effects of the freeze may not be apparent for a few weeks. Don't prune, fertilize etc until you're sure all is well again or can make a solid assessment. Hope all works out as these are great trees!

Cheers, LPN.

3. tomcsy44

tomcsy44 Member

Thanks for the reply.............I have noticed that although the lime tree has been dropping leaves at an alarming rate, it also has produced new buds...and they appear healthy. Should I bring these potted trees indoors? The weather here in the Bay area gets down to the low 30's almost every night.

4. LPN

Moving them indoors may set them back. Citrus has been known to react negatively when moved indoors after a lengthy stay outdoors. Perhaps a better approach is to locate them in a favored spot where frost may not be as much of a factor. The new buds are a good sign.

Cheers, LPN.

5. LPN

Well ... not always does this hold true. I moved my Key lime indoors during the last freeze as a temporary measure. I was intending to move it back out again as soon as the weather improved. Within days it budded up and began to flower! Now I don't want to move it back out for fear of losing fruit set.
    I do have it in a bright location and I run a fan on it for 8 - 10 hours a day for air circulation. Humidity is 74% and it gets a shower every 5 days or so.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Tomcsy, if the weather stays in the high 30's or higher you can leave it outdoors, however, your growth will be VERY slow. You can also bring the tree indoors, but BEFORE you bring the tree into a warm house, BE SURE you raise the temperature of the potting soil (root zone) up to at least 64F (18C), 70F (22C) would be better. - Millet