Japanese Maple Bloodgood

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Garden Lover, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Garden Lover

Garden Lover Member

I want to plant my J. maple in my Zone 5 garden.
    Should I plant it near a large Cherry Tree (shade)?
    What do I need to do before I plant.
    I assume It should be staked.
    Fertilizer?
    May I plant it now Sept.1?

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Assuming that this is the first maple you have planted, the first thing that I would do is note where in the garden you have excellent drainage a good sandy loam that is moist, but not wet, is recommended. (If your garden has clay soil, then check out this thread.) After identifying these areas, try to locate a spot that is most sheltered from cold winter winds since you are in Zone 5, then narrow that down to a spot with hours of morning and early afternoon sun and possibly late afternoon shade. If you plant under the shade of your cherry tree, you are likely to see green leaves on this red-leaved cultivar for most of the season. Save that spot for a variegated or green-leaved cultivar, if your collection grows. I always advise digging an 18 hole in the chosen spot, fill it and let it drain, then fill it again and time the drainage to assure that the soil drains well. Poor drainage would be the trees worst fate. We do not advise staking the tree, so if it is staked from the nursery, remove the stake. You do not need to fertilize the tree this year. Many of our members tend to fertilize lightly and use a low nitrogen formula, which you can read about here in the forum. I will let others more experienced with your climate answer your question on fall planting, which I understand to be fine for at least Zones 6-8, but do let us know the size of your maple and whether you can store it indoors over the winter. Check out this thread for some interesting information from a few experienced maple enthusiasts in Zone 5.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You don't have to do much to check adequacy of drainage, if put water in the hole and it sits there for hours you do not have good drainage.

Fertilizing should be based on a soil test. Withholding fertilizer from a newly planted tree where there is a deficiency will not assist establishment, if fertilizer is called for put it on. Fall is the best time to fertilize most hardy plants.

4. Garden Lover

Garden Lover Member

Thank You - Yes this is my first maple tree.
    This Maple is about 7' tall & I do not have a indoor location for this size of tree.
    It is red now with what I am told are blotches from water drying on it's leaves?
    The Nursery suggested I wait till the temperature is cool B4 I plant it which is about now I guess.
    I have clay soil but the location is on a grade & I will add drainage to the hole so water drains away as suggested.
    The spot I want to use is 20' on the west side of the 30'+ high Cherry tree so it would get some morning shade.
    My house should block some of the north wind.
    I had planned to make a Burlap wind break around the tree for the winter.
    I was told not to wrap the tree by the nursery but they said nothing about drainage.
    My neighbour on the south side of the tree has many mature trees that filter the summer sun in the late afternoon.
    It would get afternoon sun from the west.
    I don't have a location that matches exactly your recomendation.

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Drainage is very important to maples (which would never survive indoors anyway!), so what we're saying is that a rich, peaty flower-bed type of location that holds lots of water for e.g. roses, is not the best place for a maple, but a grittier, coarse sand type of place is. You'll have to judge though whether you have a relatively decent environment or not. You might want to stake the tree over this winter (not overly tightly though, a little movement is good for it).