japanese BLOODGOOD Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by linnyz, Jul 10, 2006.

1. linnyz

linnyz Member

I have recently planted a "Bloodgood Maple" however my leaves seem to be turning
    yellow in the center, and spreading outwards.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:
    Note I do live in Kansas, it's very humid and hot, I have been very good about watering and feeing it all purpous Miracle Grow...

2. STi

STi Active Member

might wanna back off the ferts..is it in part shade?

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Actually you might also want to knock off being so good about watering. Maples like to get a bit dry between waterings, and yellow leaves often means they're staying wet too long - what's your soil mix like? Gritty and fast draining is good, peaty and clay-ey aren't.

4. linnyz

linnyz Member

Thank You : I will cut back . I have this planted in full sun ...
    Appreciate your advice.. LZ

5. linnyz

linnyz Member

Rima, my soil is gritty and fast draining. We did a major landscape project and replaced
    all our old clay-ey soil with good quality dirt with amendmants where are major plantings would be..

It was quite a significant amount we dug at least 4 feet around and extra deep to assure healthy root structure and a great growing platform..

I will certainly cut down on the watering..I will admit my Husband has a tendancy to over-water.. I have basically zero scaped my backyard, with mostly native & drought hardy plants.. A few intresting ones like the maple & a few tropical plumeria trees get an extra dose of care..

Thanks .. LZ

Thanks much

6. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

aka deadly poison

7. majohnson

majohnson Member

In talking with grower before starting with the Japanese Maples to gain insight. The person was very specific with regard to Miracle Grow and not to use it, much in the same thought that have been mentioned. He did recommened Neptunes Harvest, really bad smell, but the maples seem to like it. I have been growing one in my living room now for over 2 month, the stuff works!

Depending on your local water, one other consideration is water quality. Try mixing 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to one gallon of water.

8. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hello majohnson -

are you growing a maple in your living room? If so, I'm afraid it is going to die on you. Better move it outside.
    All best.
    Schusch

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Constant moisture for Japanese maples, no significant dry periods or flooding. Not dry, not wet, just moist. Fertilizer that will work well is one tailored to existing mineral content of soil or medium in each particular situation. Sampling and testing soil is common method used to get an idea of what is appropriate.