Why do my grape plants have brown leaf tips

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Aloe, May 6, 2006.

1. Aloe

Aloe Member

I planted a row of six grape plants a few weeks ago, have been watering et al. As of this morning, all of the larger leaves had brown tips, a few leaves were browned completely. The plants on the ends of the row were the worst.
    My guess was a light frost, but Husband swears that it hasn't gotten that cold--
    Help ... how do I keep the things alive?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I agree with your assessment of a light frost. The only other frequent "new planting malady" that comes to mind is over or under watering, and that won't give you tip browning as a first symptom.

I monitor the temperature (logging every 30 minutes) here and we haven't officially been below freezing for over a month, but I also know I was crunching thru frozen grass about a week ago at 6:00 AM after a clear night. We have 32 acres and I'm sure there is at least a 5 degree C differential from the hump where the vines are to the creek draining at the edge of the next field even though there is only about a 15 foot elevation difference.

They will look shabby for a while but they should survive. If you think there is a danger of a repeat, lay some floating row cover (remay or =) in advance.

Ralph