Weeping Blue Alaskan Cedar turning yellow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by weberck, May 22, 2007.

1. weberck

weberck Member

I planted 3 weeping cedars about a month ago and one of them is starting to turn yellow from the truck up. Is there anything to do to stop it? What is happening to it?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Check soil moisture.

3. weberck

weberck Member

The tree is in a new bed of mixed soil and top coat of compost. The soil is pretty moist. Could it be too wet?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

new bed? when was it transplanted, if it was.

5. weberck

weberck Member

It was newly purchased from a nursery planted 1 late April. I used some B1 and fertilizer when it was planted, but I'm wondering if I'm watering it too much. Will it get better?

6. jimmyq

potentially a transplant shock issue. was the rootball in good shape? appropriately sized? did you find the trunk flare when planting? stake it to support it? I have seen many of them over the years with undersized, mushy, incorrect depth and other issues at the base. Cedars (I know Micheal, it istna true cedar :) ) like the Chamaecyparis nootkatensis and Thuja plicata tend to shed some interior growth during the summer's hottest months (flagging) but it hasnt been that kind of weather for us here yet.

Check soil moisture, consider planting methods and such as possible issues and keep in contact with the supplier nursery so they can apply a warranty if they have one, if necessary.

7. Ron B

8. weberck

weberck Member

Is there something that I can use to help with transplant shock? This tree was in great shape when it was planted. Root ball was fine, the planting hole was twice as big and had a soil mound to rest on. Can it recover? This is a beautiful tree, perfectly shaped. I would hate to lose it.

9. jimmyq

you can apply a transplant solution which usually contain IBA and a hint of N-P-K,
    BUT..... that said, if you dont correctyl identify the problem, you can really suggest a solution.

10. Ron B

>you can apply a transplant solution which usually contain IBA and a hint of N-P-K<

See my last link, above.

11. jimmyq

out of curiousity, are you agreeing with my thoughts or not? that paper seems to agree on one hand (IBA) and disagree (N-P-K, not the P part...) on the other. I have used a couple of B-1 products and been quite surprised by the (non scientific but I tried to be fair) results.

12. weberck

weberck Member

I took some clipping and pictures into the nursery and they checked it for bugs. Nothing there. He thought it could be too much water and a bit of stress, but looking at all the other trees at the nursery it appears to be natural shedding. We have had a few weeks of high 70s and mid 80s and then it cooled off and now back to low 80s. They told me to keep watching it. Thanks for all the suggestions.