Calla seed question

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Sky blue, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Sky blue

Sky blue Member

I harvested my calla lily seeds yesterday but I am not pretty much certain about one thing. When should I sow the seeds, immediately? or autumn? Should I store them in a dark, dry place till autumn?

In fact, I do not need anymore calla lily, but I just want to follow it by the time period while it grows from a seed.

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Hi Sky blue.

I guess it depends on which type of "Calla lily" we're talking about. Several different plants are called Calla lilies. There was a discussion about this a while back. The one that I'm familiar with is Zantedeschia sp.

From what I've read, you have two choices for sowing seeds: you can start them indoors in the fall or winter, and them move them outside (slowly) in the spring when it's warm, or start them outside in the spring when it's warm.

If you want to store them, the general rules are dry out the seeds thoroughly. Then lay them out in a tray or pan in the shade outside until they are thoroughly dry. Then store them in a dry air-tight container (like a jar with a tight fitting lid) with a desiccant or dry milk powder or dry uncooked rice (to absorb any moisture) at room temperature in the dark or colder. The colder you keep them the longer they will remain viable (in general).

I hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  3. Sky blue

Sky blue Member

Hi, Sea Witch,

The calla lily which i am talking about is Zantedeschia aethiopica. Most probably i will store the seeds according to your suggestion. Thanks for comments and storing ideas. Especially adding rice to store box is a great hint while we are living in a very hot summer season nowadays with high humidity in Cyprus.

Best regards.