evergreen climbing plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by margaret j livingstone, Jun 28, 2012.

1. margaret j livingstone

margaret j livingstone Member

Hello, I am looking for suggestions for an evergreen that will climb a trellis agaist the wall of our house...it is largely shady and protected but does get some late afternoon/day sun.

Something that is quick growing would be best...I am in my sixties, after all!

thanks!
    mjl

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

English Ivy is the first thing that comes to mind, not that I would recommend it. It is very fast growing, even invasive; so it should be planted in a manner to prevent its spreading.

3. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I have some climbing hydrangea in mostly shade, but I can't swear it's evergreen....

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lonicera henryi.

5. Sky blue

Sky blue Member

You can consider Clematis armandii as an option. I do not know your climate conditions but i know it is evergreen.

6. margaret j livingstone

Thanks for this...that is exactly what we have decided and it looks great!

cheers,
    mjl

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Evergreen clematis is prone to cold damage away from the most mild areas. When confined it develops highly visible congested masses of persistent dead leaves that must be clipped off and taken away every year if one is apt to be bothered by them. It also grows in flushes of rapidly developing long shoots that quickly tangle or grow out of bounds. I do not recommend it for training onto surfaces or frames, much better suited to the sunny sides of sheltering evergreen trees, where it can grow unfettered - and the dead foliage is spread out through that of the host tree.

8. margaret j livingstone

Thanks for this info...we have already planted it...in a very, very shelterd area with a trellis to climb on against the stucco side of our front courtyard. I appreciate your input though. We live in Sidney BC which is quite temperate.

cheers,
    mjl