Propagation: Tomato distorted & misformed leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Greg C, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Greg C

Greg C Member

This is my first posting on this forum, I'm looking forward to some feedback.
    I have been growing tomatoes in Burnaby for over 20 years. I have learned how to survive the blossom end rot and the early and late blight. This year the plants are growing in a new and worrying way. The new leaf growth on the main lead stem and the suckers is distorted, misformed, and desiccated. The stems are growing tall and straight with firm and crisp characteristics. The flower stalks are near normal in appearance with some fruit set, and some sizing up.

My concern is not so much with this year's sad plants, but I want to understand what I have done so I can avoid it next year.

I will describe as accurately as possible what I have done this year.
    1) I start most of my own plants from seed, 7 varieties, and a few novelty plants are purchased each year, these purchased plants are behaving the same as my starters
    2)This is the 4th year in a new 8' x 15' poly arch greenhouse. I grow 25 to 30 plants directly in the garden soil.
    3) A week or two prior to starting soil prep I wash the interior and exterior of the greenhouse poly with a bleach solution with a long handled brush and thoroughly rinsed with plenty of water. The greenhouse is left open till soil prep starts.
    4)This year the soil preparation included removing 6 wheelbarrows of last years soil, augmentation with 5 wheelbarrows of well rotted mushroom manure, 2 wheelbarrows of our own compost. This is loosely forked together with soil. Approx 2 liters of prilled lime, and 1 liter of 10-15-19 Veg & Tomato fertilizer. This is well rototilled to at least 12" deep. The mushroom manure and compost are used in most locations in the garden with no ill effect. I add mushroom manure every 2 to 4 years.
    5)This year the seedlings were planted out near the end of May, just before the short good spell of weather ended. I plant them 8" to 10" deep with 3 or 4 pairs of leaves above ground. I gave them all a shot of 9-45-9 kickstarter micro nutrient liquid fertilizer.
    6)Approx. 1 week later I applied a light spray of copper to head off the blight.
    7)A thin layer of 2 year old straw is spread over the soil to inhibit weed growth. This is the same bale of straw that was started last year.
    8)I have a watering system to supply water thru a single line to the roots of each plant.The system was well flushed out before prep started.

The greenhouse has a 20" box fan running 24 hours and a small heater to maintain a 8c overnight temp.

The leaves that were on all of the plants when they were planted out have grown out to a full natural size. Some of the flowers that were on the plants when put out have set fruit and are filling out. All of the new growth on the plants has been badly malformed

Photos below. July 7 2012
    1)tomato house
    2)affected plants
    3)distorted growth, "Early Cascade"
    4)distorted growth, "Valentine"
    5)tomato house interior with fan and heater

Any suggestions what went wrong?
    Greg

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forum.
    I only know of two things that cause that type of damage, Mites and Herbicides.
    Assuming you've ruled out mites, check to see if there's been any weed killer used
    in your yard or neighborhood. Weed and Feed, roadside spraying, farms or gardens
    adjoining yours.