Help with Coral Bark Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by TMG, Jul 27, 2010.

1. TMG

TMG Member

In June, I planted a coral bark maple (acer palmatum Sangokaku). It's shady in the early morning, then the sun hits the top of the tree and gradually it's in full sun from mid afternoon til the end of the day. It's been quite warm and very dry here in Victoria, BC since planting, so I've been watering it almost daily. However the leaves are turning quite red. I assume the tree is distressed, having been planted in the summer. I hope I've put it in the right location. And that it will be ok next year.

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Unless you start losing leaves I wouldn't worry too much at this point. These types can take on a reddish appearance as a reaction to mild stress, such as being transplanted in summer. You should find it handles the afternoon sun well, once established.

I'd back off on the watering a little though, daily will encourage the roots to grow too close to the surface. 2 or 3 times a week should be plenty. You don't mention if the tree has mulch around it - if not, add some.

Hopefully all will be ok, but if the 'Sango kaku' gets any worse, post some pictures here. Someone may be able to spot an issue that is not apparent from a description.