Near Death Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Nora, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Nora

Nora Member

My beautiful office hibiscus became infested with little white flies, so I sprayed it with dish soap and water. Now most of the leaves yellowed and fell off. It's now a sorry sight, and I'm afraid it might die. Any suggestions as to how to nurse it back to health would be most appreciated.

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

Cut back the branches by 1/3 and give it lots of direct sun, or as much light as possible, let the hibiscus dry out between waterings and you should see some new growth coming back soon, also you can give it some fertilizer to help it out.

3. Nora

Nora Member

Hi, I'm back with an update to my hibiscus. I followed the directions James D. so kindly provided, with good results. The hibiscus even had four blooms. My problem is the little white flying pests are back. I've made weekly applications for the last four weeks of insecticial soap, paying particular attention to the undersides of the leaves, but the bugs are gaining in numbers. I've also tried wiping the leaves with fresh water. That only stirs up the bugs, but doesn't get rid of them. Any suggestions on dealing with this problem?